Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,

I was just gifted a 1400 Intruder from my in-laws that sat in a garage for 5ish years, then outside under cover for about 2 years. I've got minor rust in the tank, so while that's soaking I'm trying to get a jump start on other (supposedly) known issues.

Apparently my FIL dropped the bike about a decade ago while unloading it from the truck and messed up the clutch lever and the trans shifter. He replaced them and supposedly rebuilt the master and slave cylinders (I say supposedly because while he is a master carpenter, he is not very good at wrenching). However, MIL says it never rode the same after and the main issue is 2nd gear won't engage, but all other gears do. Any advice for a good starting point? I mainly work on cars and have worked on a couple bikes, but I've never had to work on motorcycle trans issues.

Any other quirks this bike has that I should know about?

Thanks.

·
Registered
7,297 Posts
If all the external linkage has been replaced then it is likely the internals got damaged too. Before doing anything I would check the linkage is actually OK and any joints are smooth and fully working as they should. Another thing may be the adjustment on the shaft.

Sometimes as simple a thing as boot size can prevent the lever from returning fully to the stop. The gear change needs to return to a stop position in order for the selector drum to rotate to move to the next gear. If the stop position isnt attained then the change wont happen.

If the damage is internal then its an engine out job since the gearbox is all one piece to the engine necessitating a full strip down.

Good luck

1 - 2 of 2 Posts