Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thanks in advance for any help anyone can provide, here's my issue.

My bike will not start, when I press the black ignition button I hear a loud buzzing sound under my seat. I was told that it is starter relay which has a 30 fuse. I verfied that the sound was comign from this location be putting my hand on it and putting my ear really close. I replaced this starter relay and it did nto fix the problem. Battery is not the issue, I have two batteries for this bike both fully charged. I used both of them and it still does not fix the problem.

Here is the kicker, when I hold in the clutch the buzzing goes away and makes a electrical flicking sound in the same place not as loud but the bike isn't even turning over.

Bike has alway been really reliable until now. The bike has been winterized and have been riden half a dozen times this season. The weather is getting better and I can't ride with my friends, please help, thanks again.

·
Registered
396 Posts
Off hand it sounds like an electrical connection problem. When a relay just clicks rapidly, it is a sign that it is not getting enough voltage to close the contacts. With a fully charged battery, the most likely caused would be corrosion in a connection/contact in the circuit. It may not even be visible to the naked eye, but still interrupt the current flow. I don't have a wiring diagram in front of me, but I would start at the battery connections, and work my way out. take each connection apart, and lightly brush/sand the surfaces that mate together. If it is a spade or bullet connector, disconnect and reconnect several times to get a good connection. Also, on a spade or bullet connector, there should be noticeable resistance when pushing it together. If the connection is not tight, you can lose voltage right there.

I hope this helps get things going for you.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Ok, so my buddy came over with his road star and just to make sure I had him swap batteries..my bike started up right away...now, I guess I just need to change all the fluids and flush out the bike...gotta start cruisin again in the summer.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Me Too!

Hi,

Did you ever get resolution on your electrical issue? I've got the exact same problem on my V Star and haven't been able to figure it out!

·
Super Moderator
12,190 Posts
and just to make sure I had him swap batteries..my bike started up right away....
Did you ever get resolution on your electrical issue? I've got the exact same problem on my V Star and haven't been able to figure it out!
In his case, it appears that it was a bad battery BUT..........
This thread is 3 years old so how about you start over and tell us exactly what your symptoms ARE and what you have done already.....if anything. :bluethum:

·
Registered
5 Posts
Apparently his problem is solved.....heres mine....my bike died on me and would not restart....after it died i hit the black button to restart it and it wouldnt make a sound. no ticking, no attempting to turn over...it was as if i was trying to start it with the bike being off....though my lights and odometer would come on....i pushed it a ways, jumped back on and it fired right up..reved it a couple of times and it was good...about 20 seconds later it died again...i stopped and tried to restart it and it was the same dead fish start as previously described.....anyone know whats up??...oh ya, i took the battery to the auto parts store to test it, after my long push home, and the battery was 100% charged

·
Registered
1 Posts
I understand this is an old thread, but I just ran into this same problem last night, I went to start the bike after not riding for 2 days, and all I get is a clicking.I am thinking a starter solenoid,as I can feel the clicking in the hot lead going from the battery to the solenoid, but I tried touching the 2 posts together to bypass the solenoid and still just a clicking.could it be the starter?

·
Super Moderator
12,190 Posts
could it be the starter?
Maybe but not likely.
Bad battery.
Charging system not working right.
Connecting a charger for a few hours will probably get it running long enough to get to a shop........where the battery and charging voltage can be checked.
Be sure to take enough money to buy a new battery. 90% of the time, that is the only problem

·
Registered
1 Posts
Ok lisen to this. Had the same problem. Try this. Put a booster cable on the ground of the battery and ground it somewhere on the bike. Make sur it's a good ground. (like on the starter). Now try to star the bike. If it starts great, you just found the problem. The ground contact on the engine needs to be clean. Cost me a starter rebuilt $70 to find this simple problem. It's a pain in the butt to get at, but not hard to do. good luck.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Ok so I have a 2000 V-STAR 1100 and the starter is good,just when I hit the starter button it makes a buzzing sound and engine will not turn,any advice on what the issue may be? Took the starter out and tested it,works fine just didnt crank the engine anymore.

·
Super Moderator
12,190 Posts
Took the starter out and tested it,works fine just didnt crank the engine anymore.
Did you READ the rest of this thread that you posted in ??
I think the answer is probably in there already.

Bad or discharged battery
Bad main cable connections
Bad solenoid
Engine locked up
Bad starter (yes even though it runs on the bench)

Check these things in order from top to bottom.
Likely it's the battery or the connections.
A multi-meter would take some of the guess work out of it.

·
Registered
1 Posts
alright now my v-star is having the same issues as some the others here. I have a new battery, new cables (old ones were corroded.), checked solenoid a starter (which are both still relatively new.) also have replaced and flushed out all fluids, and put new spark plugs. any other suggestions.

·
Super Moderator
12,190 Posts
any other suggestions.
I suggest you stop taking wild guesses and do some simple testing to try and isolate the problem.
What exactly are the symptoms......does the starter run and the engine turn over?
If so, does it make spark ?
Then have you tried giving is a shot of starting fluid in the air intake?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts