Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got a 2001 Yamaha V star 1100 classic in April of this year, so far it has been my project bike,

my problem is i have absolutely no power to any of my gauges or anything else, but I've check all the fuses to be good, and the battery has a full charge on it. anyone have any ideas what it might be?

·
Super Moderator
12,689 Posts
my problem is i have absolutely no power to any of my gauges or anything else, but I've check all the fuses to be good,
ALL the fuses ?
You do know that there is a main fuse, in a socket all by itself......usually located beside or on top of the starter solenoid and covered with a rubber boot ??

Other than that, one of the main cables may not be connected good.

A multi-meter will be an INVALUABLE tool in solving this problem.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I did check All the fuses including my main fuse under my seat, I feel like a dummy for not checking earlier, the voltage on my battery was at 6V instead of 12V. but i appreciate the help.

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
gotta start at the battery and work outwards till you lose power. it would seem to me if your battery is good and the main fuse is good but everything else is dead. then the fuse box itself is where the problem is.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have a 2007 vstar 1100 with same problem, all fuses are good in fuse box except the 30amp main. I put a new 30amp in and nothing. The only thing hot on solenoid is the positive terminal. I changed solenoid and same thing. Nothing on 30amp. Any suggestions???

·
Super Moderator
12,689 Posts
Where exactly is the 30 amp main fuse holder located ?

On most bikes that I've seen, the main fuse holder is bolted directly to the + terminal on the solenoid....or very close to it. Thus it is almost impossible for the solenoid terminal to have voltage but NOT the 30 amp socket, at least on one side.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Its located under the seat next to the battery and neither side of fuse is hot period.. I've never seen anything like it....

·
Super Moderator
12,689 Posts
Its located under the seat next to the battery and neither side of fuse is hot period.. I've never seen anything like it....
Don't make this harder than it IS.
One side of that fuse socket is connected to the battery......or WAS connected to the battery.

That short fairly heavy wire might be broken......or there might not even be a wire and the tab has come loose from the battery bolt that it is supposed to be connected to.

There is a bad connection .......right THERE between that fuse holder and the + terminal of the battery.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts