Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi I'm hoping someone can help. I'm new to this forum but searched for my problem to no avail. I purchased the 2001 vstar 1100 last year. Everything was fine. Then lost my crank shaft bolt which destroyed the stator so I replaced it and got the bike running good again. Road a couple hundred miles. Everything was fine. Parked it and it sat for a month. Started it up just fine. Let it warm up as maintenance and turned it off. Two weeks later tried to start it amd it just cranks forever.
So here's where we are at.
I removed the carbs and checked pilots and main jets. Not clogged and float bowls were full.
I hear fuel pump whine for a few seconds when kill switch turned on. Gas is pumping fine.
Fuel switch on.
In Neutral.
Charged battery on maintainer. Crank crank crank... nothing ...
pull plugs. Both have spark. Replace them anyway.
Check pickup coil.. 217 ohms..
headlight comes on with key
Try with "choke on full or half" get multiple gunshots backfire boom boom boom boom. Bit wont start.. (just scares the crap out of my kids hahaha)
Choke off. No backfires no start.
Check kickstand switch. Open when down closed when up...

Feel for suction at air intake.. has suction...

Air gas spark......what am I missing?!

·
Registered
12 Posts
I ran into this problem once before,[a loooooooooooong time ago] but don't remember exactly why it happened,but the boots [rubber around the carbs] have a tendency to not seat properly,and or partially fall off ,allowing for a large air leak,hence the bike won't start.And it is my understanding that this IS a common problem with the 1100 V Stars.So look at this area closely as it's difficult to see.If you have fuel,air,spark,and compression,and she's timed correctly,she should fire.But if this rubber boot thing has any air leaks,she will NOT start.Good luck!! Dave!!!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Dave I'll check it out closer and see if I can see anything there. Another question regarding starting fluid if anyone knows what the best way is to try amd apply starting fluid to these dual carb bikes?! With cars boats dirt bikes etc I just shoot it down the throat of the carb or throttle body but the setup of this bike doesn't really allow that? Just shoot some in the tube behind the air box or is there a better way. I haven't tried it yet just brainstorming

·
Super Moderator
12,251 Posts
You don't want to get the liquid ether into the carbs.

With the entire air box (es) in place, squirt into the air box......with or without the air filter in place.
That will fill the air box with enough gas to fire for several revolutions.....if low fuel flow is the problem.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts