Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi. First post here. I just bought a 2002 Katana 600 and I figured since its oil cooled it takes a bit longer to warm up. But it will stall out on me unless its up to operating temp. Usually around 15 mins. Keep in mind its a bit cold here in PA right now. I ride in anything over 30 and it's been about 40-50 degrees since I've been riding. Does this sound normal or maybe a problem with my coolant? Any help is appreciated. Thanks Guys.

·
Super Moderator
12,406 Posts
Most likely it is normal....mostly.

Most all carb'ed bikes need to have the choke partly ON for the first 5 minutes or so.
Having the idle speed set right might help.

If pipes or intake has been modified that will make matters worse.
If that is the case, putting a stock air filter back on it will probably help a lot.

And lastly, give it a double dose of Berrymans B12 Chemtool in the gas (2 OZ per gallon) and see if it doesn't run and idle better after a little use.

Long Shot: If it really does take 15 minutes to settle down, that might indicate an intake air leak (intake or manifold gasket) that closes up when it gets hot.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The 15 minutes is with the choke on and slowly backing off as RPM's raise. The only mod done is a Yoshi slip on. Not sure if the air filter was modified but i'll try the B12. Wouldn't an air leak throw on my CEL? Thanks

·
Registered
105 Posts
This has carb setting impacting fuel / air feed issue. Lived this with a few older bikes and made it worst trying to set myself. Once a pro set my carbs, no more issue.

The only thing I could figure was that a bike engine is very high performance, thus taking very little to set them off beat and when they are cold they are more demanding than when they are hot. So when the engine was at normal operating temperature, it would be just enough to move that I WANT AIR AND FUEL meter back into a tolerable range to maintain idle.

Could be completely wrong, but I think if you have someone set your carbs, it will work better. Worked for my old 77 Honda CB 750-four K, a long time ago in a place far far away ... lol

·
Super Moderator
12,406 Posts
The 15 minutes is with the choke on and slowly backing off as RPM's raise. The only mod done is a Yoshi slip on. Not sure if the air filter was modified but i'll try the B12. Wouldn't an air leak throw on my CEL? Thanks
But is it REALLY 15 minutes or is that just a rough guess ? Every minute waiting to ride can seem like an hour. :cool:

And.....if it has a choke then it should have carbs; if it has carbs, it should NOT have a CEL.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
About 15 minutes. 2 cigarettes. It is carbureted. With the choke on I let it "idle" at around 3500 and back off the choke as it gets to 5000. When warmed up with the choke off I idle at 15-1700. I wasn't aware that carb engines don't have a CEL.

·
Super Moderator
12,406 Posts
I wasn't aware that carb engines don't have a CEL.
Carb'ed bikes don't, at least none that I am aware of.

Seems like I remember that some cars did, back in the late '80s or '90s as they needed to reduce emissions but before FI was widely in use.

Have you tried riding it with the choke still partly ON ? In my experience, the second time you need to reduce the choke to drop the speed it is ready to go......if you take it easy.

I think 2500 would be plenty for fast idle and reduce it when it gets to 3500 or above. 5K is a lot just sitting there.

Please do check that air filter. It can make a BIG difference if it is "high flow" or not seated properly.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts