Motorcycle Forum banner

2002 Suzuki VS 800 intruder clutch fluid

11K views 8 replies 5 participants last post by  Max839 
#1 ·
Just got done replacing the clutch plates in the bike. Can some one tell me the amount and weight/type of oil that needs to go back into the clutch housing? Thanks for your time.

Mutt

#2 ·
Engine, Transmission and clutch all ride in the same oil, preferred oil is 10w40 motorcycle oil. My personal preference is Rotella 15w40. I suggest changing the oil and filter again after a few hundred miles if you have replaced the clutch plates to get any clutch particles out of the engine.

#3 ·
Can some one tell me the amount and weight/type of oil that needs to go back into the clutch housing?
Mutt
Engine, Transmission and clutch all ride in the same oil,
So you are asking about the oil that leaks out when you remove the clutch cover on the side of the transmission, right ??
If so, you run the engine for 30 seconds or so, then let it sit for a couple of minutes and check the level on the engine oil......and add as needed.

If you are asking about the fluid that operates a hydralic clutch (clutch fluid), then that is a WHOLE different matter.

#5 ·
, but what is the basic amount? When I pulled the cover, it sure didn't look like but about 2 quarts
OK, let's attack this a little differently.
Nobody KNOWS how much you lost by removing the side cover.
The best thing to do at this point would be to just do a complete oil change and filter.
You need to use motorcycle specific oil, or diesel. If going with the Rotella, I like the synthetic stuff; only a couple of bucks more.

Remove the drain bolt to get the rest out.......and then you will know how much to put back in; or someone here can tell you what the change capactiy is.
If you don't have an owners manual getting one would be helpful in the future.

#6 ·
EZ is right- there is no way to know how much oil you let out. Drain it all. Put on a new filter. Fill it up with fresh oil. The oil capacity is cast into the engine cover next to the oil level sight window. If I recall correctly it says "2800 ml" which is 2800 milliliters, or 3 US quarts.

#8 ·
Two comments:
Welcome to the forum.
You have just replied to a SIX year old thread.
The original poster likely isn't here anymore.

Then.....you need to be careful when using automotive oil.
If it is labeled as "energy conserving" it likely has additives that are NOT good for a wet clutch.

#9 ·
Lol. I had realized that .. Feel like an idiot for jumping in on a thread that was 10 years old.. I should have been more clear on that comment. The energy conservatives in conventional motor oil or ( friction modifiers). Are verybadfor the wet clutch. There are oils without it. It will be seen on the back of the bottle in the little circle. Sorry bout that guys...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.