Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2003 Marauder VZ800
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm the third owner of the 5,800 mile bike and have been riding it so I can get use to riding a bike again. Been over twenty years since I rode. The Cobra pipes are two different colors on exit. I do know it has the jet kit in both carbs like it should after original owner installed Cobra mufflers. To me the #2 cylinder is running richer then the #1 cylinder. Can anybody confirm this for me. Here is the picture of exhaust.

Can I adjust just the air mixture screw to clear this up or try to find a motorcycle tech to fix this. I didn't pull any plugs to look at them.
Thanks for any input on this.

Mike

·
Super Moderator
12,534 Posts
IF.....the bike seems to be running good, I think you should NOT worry about it.

The bottom one might actually be "normal" for that setup and the top one a bit lean.

I think I'd change the plugs and give it a dose of a good fuel system cleaner.......like Berrymans B12 or Gumout (NOT SeaFoam) and then wipe out the carbon and see what happens.

If the black carbon is dry, then it likely is fuel residue from being a bit rich.
If it feels oily, then the rings on that cylinder might have a problem and it is oil blowby.

·
Registered
2003 Marauder VZ800
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks! It's dry carbon, not oily at all. I have some new plugs to install. It does have a slight stumble just off idle. Will pull plugs and run some cleaner thru tank. Thanks for your response!
ca'Jun

·
Super Moderator
12,534 Posts
One more thought:
Is the gas in the tank fresh ?
If not, you shouldn't do anything else until it is removed or burned up.
I found that adding too much stabilizer will make it run just a tad rough at the low end.
And putting in more than one additive at a time isn't good either.

·
Registered
2003 Marauder VZ800
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Pulled plugs from bike, why did somebody install Champion plugs? I'm no fan of Champions!

As you can see the dark threads on plug, it wasn't even tight!

From above.
I installed NGK Iridium plugs and tighten them! DPR8EA-9 is standard heat plugs.
Next I check idle/air mixture screw how many turns out. Three turns. Checked front it was 4 turns out. Hmmmm!
Turned mixture screw in one turn, cleaned exhaust of carbon file, just need to go and put some miles on it.
Easy Rider gas in tank is fresh.

I will order me some gaskets for carburetors, for in case I have to go thru them. I'm not scared of any carb!

·
Super Moderator
12,534 Posts
One does look a little rich.
Any chance that intake is partially plugged......or the choke is not open all the way ??
The adjustment screw only affects very low speeds (idle).

·
Registered
2003 Marauder VZ800
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for all your input Easy Rider! I have a over-haul kit coming and will rebuild front carb. Maybe float is set to high!:unsure: Will take pictures as I tear it apart and hopefully figure out the problem. Younger brother has the tool to set both carbs and synchronize them. New tires also showing up tomorrow!

·
Registered
2003 Marauder VZ800
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
This morning left the house to go to my brothers mechanic shop, determined to wrestle with that front carb. Of course I left my cell phone home, so no pictures! Took off tank after draining out gas, took off cross brace to get to vacuum canister for installed larger jet. What I found on metering rod was some build up on it. Going into jet, cleaned junk off metering rod and check for any leaks on rubber. Took it apart and it's set up and drilled as it should be. Sprayed carb cleaner into jet looking down into throat of carb. Hmmm! :unsure: put it back together not knowing if anything I did helped. Put new factory lines from tank to peacock, making sure I have lines correct. Put about a gallon of gas in tank and a good dose of Berryman cleaner in tank. Fired up the vz800, let it idle while I picked up all my tools. Gave it a twist of for gas and wait no black smoke from pipe! Put helmet on with sun glasses and gloves and took off riding it! What a difference! No more stuttering, no more pip-pip-pip thru carb! Long drive way took a right and wow! It pulls good and rev's better! To do 70 mph is nothing now! Wish I had camera to take pictures of what I did. Nothing special. Poor motorcycle did more sitting then running!
:D(y):giggle:(y):D

Now that I got that fixed! Time for a cold one!
🍺🍻🍺🍻🍺

ca'Jun

·
Registered
5 Posts
IF.....the bike seems to be running good, I think you should NOT worry about it.

The bottom one might actually be "normal" for that setup and the top one a bit lean.

I think I'd change the plugs and give it a dose of a good fuel system cleaner.......like Berrymans B12 or Gumout (NOT SeaFoam) and then wipe out the carbon and see what happens.

If the black carbon is dry, then it likely is fuel residue from being a bit rich.
If it feels oily, then the rings on that cylinder might have a problem and it is oil blowby.
I had an older bike that was running on one cylinder only, it was a twin. I added sea foam to the fuel tank, and eventually the other cylinder began to fire. Sea foam had nothing to do with this then?

·
Registered
2003 Marauder VZ800
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I had an older bike that was running on one cylinder only, it was a twin. I added sea foam to the fuel tank, and eventually the other cylinder began to fire. Sea foam had nothing to do with this then?
Varnish build up on metering rod was all the problem, causing it to run rich! Plugs are running clean! Bike runs so much better!

·
Registered
2003 Marauder VZ800
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Since my tires on bike is 17 years old and dry-rot! I had new Perilli tires installed by local cycle shop. R&R tires from rims I brought to them $100 that was balancing also.

New tires on bike.

Machines in background is what I service and sell. It's a job I've been doing for the last five years.
Mods if this isn't in the right place feel free to move it.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts