Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First Post here
Hello everyone. I just bought a 2003 V Star 1100 with about 3000 miles last week. Unfortunately I did not test drive the bike enough and I am paying for it now. After several minutes of riding The bike will not come to a normal idle. While in between shifts or much worse at idle the revs will not settle until sitting for a minute or two, at idle the bike still sounds like you are doing about 50 mph. I took it to a local shop and he replaced the vacuum hoses only for the problem to remain, after taking it back when the problem persisted he said I might need to take it to the local Yamaha dealership, ouch. This is my first cruiser and I am not even able to enjoy it. Any advice, thanks.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I thought the throttle might be sticking but the bike only does it after several, maybe 15 minutes or so, of riding. The bike runs flawless until then. The guy at the shop says he thinks it is some kind of vacuum leak but he is having trouble locating it.

·
Registered
6,975 Posts
Check around the carb boots...filter and intake sides.... wet them with a little water...it will get sucked in if there is a leak. Also check any diaphragms for pin holes etc... and the carb tops for security. This sounds like a leak that is developing only when hot so may be a little difficult to isolate.

Good luck

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thansk for the response, steve. my mechanic is saying he is finding ther leak but cant get it to quit sucking air.

·
Registered
6,975 Posts
OK don't keep us in suspense where is it? and if he can find it then why can't he fix it????

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
sorry, i had to pick the bike up yesterday. the guy i talked to said he was using to cleaner to find the leak and said it was obviuos it was leaking but he could not get it to quit sucking. the shop i took it to was more of a drivetrain shop for harleys apparently. i have a friend of a friend coming to look at it tonite and if he can't get it straightened out there is another shop that was recommended. apparently this is kind of common on low mileage v star as there are several post on this site, i will keep everyone posted with an update.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I developed the same problem after replacing a starter clutch on my 2003 Vstar 1100. I don't see a connection between the two but thought maybe it was a vacuum tube or something knocked loose. Also my rear cylinder exhaust pops back occasionally while the engine is doing this unwanted revving. If I find a fix, I'll let you know.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I bought a 2004 Vstar 1100 and had the same issue. I found several vacuum leaks in the tube from the air box to the carb and from the airbox to the air cleaner. tightened the clamps on the tubes and it made it worst. Installed a new air cleaner, new E3 sparkplugs, Half a can of Seafoam in a full tank of Premium and a half a can of Lucas Octane boost to the fuel. I started it up and let it run for about 20 mins. Still reving high and and popping thru the exhaust and backfiring. Let it sit overnight and started it the next day. Started right up and in a few minutes it was purring like a kitten. I had issues also with the front spark plug not firing at startup. I believe it was a plugged carb and the combination i listed above seems to have solved the issue. I will let you know if it returns???

·
Super Moderator
13,057 Posts
new E3 sparkplugs, Half a can of Seafoam in a full tank of Premium and a half a can of Lucas Octane boost to the fuel.
Glad that worked for you.

Some notes:
You are wasting your money with E3 plugs if you paid more than you would for OEM.
About every 10 years somebody comes along with a "revolution" in spark plug technology and NONE of them have proven to do anything better than a common spark plug does.......except extract money from your wallet.

For future reference, Berrymans B12 Chemtool or Gumout are MUCH better carb cleaners than SeaFoam.

You should not mix additives.
Octane boost in that engine is a total waste of money......as is Premium fuel.
You never know ahead of time when two additives won't play well together.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts