Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm a first time rider and just bought a 2003 Yamaha V-Star 1100. It's been running great. Last night I went for a short ride around the block, pulled in the driveway & went to cut off the engine. It wouldn't turn off I had to disconnect the battery to shut it down. If I try to hook up the battery the bike keeps turning over with the cut off switch in off mode and with no key in the ignition. I don't know what to do.... Help!!!

·
Super Moderator
12,761 Posts
I don't know what to do.... Help!!!
That is the key phrase.

Call a dealer, describe the problem to them and ask for a wild guess as to cost for towing it in and fixing it. When you have that much money, call them back and get it fixed.

It sounds to me like there is a relay stuck or the ignition switch itself. Could be pinched wires somewhere too. Probably not a job for a novice........unless someone with that same bike has had that exact problem before and can tell you right where to look.

Good luck!

·
Registered
397 Posts
None of the cut off switches work? Kickstand, neutral, etc.? Have you taken apart the On/Off switch on the bars? Worth unscrewing apart the housing and taking a peek inside first.

·
Registered
3 Posts
did you get it fixed? I am having the exact same issue right now with my 2002 vstar. I bought it about 4 months ago and I have been having a few electrical issues since buying it and I just replaced my voltage regulator but I got a cheap one and I am having to buy a better one because cheap was just that crap! Now I need to figure out this issue!

·
Registered
263 Posts
if you haven't got the regulator. get one from an 05 roadstar plugs right in and is heavy duty.your electrical problem is something stuck. like the start button in the handlebar control box.or starter switch. you should have a volt ohm meter and check wiring. V-Star 1100 Wiki Knowledge Base - 1 New Owner "MUST READ" Section. heres a good site for the 1100, theres a wiring diagram at the end, sometimes its easier to click the search feature and ask.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts