Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I am new here. I bought a 2003 V Star 1100 Custom last year during Covid to ride with my wife. Last year it rode beautifully, no issues my first year ever riding a bike. This year started out great, even did a ride From Buffalo NY, to Alex Bay NY, took 6 hours, was amazing. After that ride, when I got home, bike was becoming harder to start. Choked it the way I was directed, still nothing. Kick stand up, in neutral and clutch engaged, still no luck. A few times I tapped on what I thjink is the starter and she took a while but would start. Makes a weird sound, like it wants to start, but just will not. I will try to get a videos of it today and post, maybe someone will recognize my issue. The battery is full of juice, like I said it just putts I guess you could say. Any ideas of what may be, or trick to get it going would be great. Thank you in advance.

·
Super Moderator
13,463 Posts
The battery is full of juice,
What exactly does that mean ??
First thing I would do is charge the battery and have it tested.......or try a jump start from another battery or BIG charger.
And in the process of doing that, check all 4 main battery cable connections.

While other things do sometimes fail, about 90% of the "all of a sudden it won't start" problems turn out to be battery related.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
What exactly does that mean ??
First thing I would do is charge the battery and have it tested.......or try a jump start from another battery or BIG charger.
And in the process of doing that, check all 4 main battery cable connections.

While other things do sometimes fail, about 90% of the "all of a sudden it won't start" problems turn out to be battery related.

Ok so I did get it started a while ago, ran it to the shop and it started fine. How long do you need to charge it, I just found my wifes trickle charger. I have run it up to the shop and they checked all operation of battery and was right on the money. I need to take a video

·
Super Moderator
13,463 Posts
I have run it up to the shop and they checked all operation of battery and was right on the money.
And that is another statement that means almost nothing without some more information.

Attach your "trickle charger"......I hope it really is a battery tender......for about 24 hours and then see how things go.
Not much you can do without having a meter to check voltages yourself when it fails.

How long it takes for the bike to charge up the battery depends on:
How old and how healthy the battery IS.
And whether or not the charging system is working right.

What ARE the symptoms when it won't start ????

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well today I tried and got a pathetic attempt to start/turnover. I have put it on the charger not sure how that works, no manual. So it almost just sounds like whiir-whiir, then pretty much ticking tyen nothing.

·
Super Moderator
13,463 Posts
So it almost just sounds like whiir-whiir, then pretty much ticking tyen nothing.
Classic symptoms of a battery problem on most vehicles.
Battery not charged or battery not capable of being charged.
Loose or corroded main battery cable connections.

Some models around then have a "compression release" valve for starting.
If that fails, it can have similar symptoms.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts