Motorcycle Forum banner

21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Thank for the reply. When riding it, it sounds as if the mufflers have a very low muffle to them. It doesn't sound correct. And there just isn't any power there. Is there any member that lives in the East Texas area? I would love to show you the bike and try to figure this problem out.

·
Super Moderator
12,245 Posts
I'm sorry that we don't seem to be of much help here but sometimes it is tough without being there.

Seafoam is what was suggested. That's why I used it. If anyone else has any suggestions, I would greatly appreciate it.
Gumout and Berrymans B12 Chemtool are much better cleaners. I like B12. Try a double dose.

where this adjustment screw is and how to adjust it? Thanks!
The only adjustment is for the fuel mixture at idle.......and changing that almost NEVER really fixes anything.

I would love to show you the bike and try to figure this problem out.
I think you need to bite the bullet and pay an hour's shop labor at the dealer for a diagnostic opinion.
Continuing to post the problem here doesn't look like it's going to get you anywhere.

·
Registered
10 Posts
You guys have been a lot of help...no doubt! I have learned about the idle valve and a few other things that I did not know. So, I really do appreciate everyone's help...just a little frustrated why I can't figure this out.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have to reply to this thread because I found sooooo little info and had to Start by piecing together info from a hundred different threads. My problem this week has been that my 2009 V Star 1100 Classic stopped running. I was driving and all was well until it died at a traffic light. I finally got it to run long enough to go a quarter mile back to my house on full choke and sputtering the whole time. After that, it would start and idle fine but the second I turned the throttle it would die. I read about Seafoam and applied it in my own way. I disconnected my gas tank and took it off. I started the bike and poured the seafoam undilluted into the fuel hose that I disconnected from the petcock. As I ran it, white smoke came out of the tailpipe. I probably ran about 1/3 of the bottle in and the bike stalled out. I figured that was good so I decided to pour half the bottle(8 ounces) in the gas tank andlet it sit overnight to soak with seafoam in the carbs. I tried to start it the next morning but it would not turn over. It would not turn over for two days. I know it’s a carb problem but I really don’t want to remove the carbs. I only had one alternative left and that was to get some starting fluid. I figured that the bike should still idyl but that the 100 percent seafoam isn’t combustible enough to run the motorcycle on. So I removed the air filter and the intake. I spent 10 minutes spraying a little starting fluid into the air intake and trying to turn over the engine. It would turn over then die and so on. I knew that I had to keep doing it until the seafoam in the carb was replaced by gas. Eureka, it started and stayed on. I let it run for ten minutes on full choke. Then I hit the throttle and a tear came to my eyes when it revved up and did NOT die. I let it run for an hour. Then I took it out and it has run better than it has in 2 years. I bought this bike brand new with zero miles in 2014. It is my first bike and now has 18,000 miles on it. So when I say it is running better than it has in 2 years, I really mean to say it runs like new. I hope this helps the people who have problems like this but can’t get a straight answer from the people who reply but offer nothing

·
Super Moderator
12,245 Posts
I have to reply to this thread because I found sooooo little info and had to Start by piecing together info from a hundred different threads.
I hope this helps the people who have problems like this but can’t get a straight answer from the people who reply but offer nothing
I hope it does too.

But if you read back through this whole thread carefully, you will notice that almost exactly what you did was suggested.......several times.

It doesn't match what you did exactly because when a bike runs at all, it is usually not necessary to take anything apart OR to put straight cleaner right into the carb.

AND I feel obliged to repeat: SeaFoam is NOT a really good carb cleaner.
IF you had put a healthy dose of Berrymans or Gumout into your tank and run it a few times, you probably would have had the same result......with a LOT less work and hassle.

Glad you got your bike running.
An occasional recommended dose of a good cleaner in the gas should keep it running good.
Even SeaFoam will work for that.

·
Registered
6,770 Posts
A simple cost effective habit of mine is to run car/injector/fuel system cleaner, whichever is applicable, through all my bikes new or old. A normal size bottle will treat three to four tanks of fuel and once every three to five months is sufficient...IMO. To date I have not had any of these specific problems...knowing my luck now I have said that I will....bugger!

21 - 27 of 27 Posts