Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good afternoon Gents new to the forum, just recently had an issue with my 04 yamaha vstar 1100. Was out on the back roads going for a cruise and got stuck behind a vehicle making frequent stops in the road to observe yard sales. When they finally gave me the signal to go around them I did. I was in second gear when i maneuvered around them and may have opened up on the throttle to much. Because now the bike is having a hard time accelerating in all gears and is just sputtering along and also a lot of backfiring coming from the exhaust. I can accelerate (barely) in all gears but once I get past a certain point on the throttle it seems to just putter along, not sure if I damaged the clutch the plates or gave it to much throttle but any feed back would be greatly appreciated. Thank you In advance. -Nick

·
Super Moderator
13,363 Posts
Check for a blocked intake.
Put some fuel system cleaner in with the gas.

A damaged clutch would allow the engine to rev freely without making it go any faster.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Check for a blocked intake.
Put some fuel system cleaner in with the gas.

A damaged clutch would allow the engine to rev freely without making it go any faster.
Thank you for the feed back sir, I am now curious if it might be the fuel pump because I did a little bit of troubleshooting I checked the fuel flow from the petcock and that was OK I also checked the fuel filter and that didn’t seem blocked with anything but then I did notice that my fuel pump didn’t sound the way that it normally did it sounded very weak so I’m wondering if maybe that it’s on its way out or is may be clogged with something also all the fuses were OK.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yep, could be the fuel pump too.
Fuel pump tested good, removed air filter housing and checked intake, wiggled it a bit and it didn’t take much but it also got detached to where it runs into the carbs. Wondering if it was loose a along and maybe caused a bigger gap from to much pressure when I revved the throttle. Going to remove gas tank and re attach tomorrow and see if that fixes the issue, if not I’m wondering if I should inspect the jets?

·
Registered
2 Posts
My wife has an 02 vstar 1100 which was running poorly. Shop said the intake manifold is cracked. Is that fairly common? I wouldn't have thought of that.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
My wife has an 02 vstar 1100 which was running poorly. Shop said the intake manifold is cracked. Is that fairly common? I wouldn't have thought of that.
Oh no kidding and not to sure if it’s common or not, but I ended fixing the issue. Bike runs great now if not better than what it did. I pulled the carbs and inspected the jets, both pilot jets were a little gunked up, but then I noticed on one of the main jets was a big clump of crap that must of gotten sucked in when I ripped on the throttle. Put it all back together with a new fuel filter and air filter and she runs good now

1 - 7 of 7 Posts