Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2005 Suzuki Boulevard M50 VZ800
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there - new to the forum. Have an issue with my bike stalling when I back off the throttle approaching lights / roundabouts etc

Seems it runs rough and throaty (unsure of terminology) then dies. Doesn’t restart without a bit of throttle - that said starts ok and idles at beginning of ride or when it’s sat after stalling after approx 5-10 minutes

changed spark plugs, oil filter oil and air filter and injector cleaner into tank.

Called and popped into dealer to get advice and adjusted air intake screw as was loose

took for a spin and cutout up the road. Rode a bit more then seemed to come right ? Could notice difference in how smooth it was (not rough or throaty) and not staling at lights etc. Went back to dealer to update him then started running rough again and cut out pulling into the dealership ?

He suggested booking in.

Rode home still rough then came right for a period of time then back to rough ?

Seems like a fuel issue ? could be totally wrong. Any help or checks would be appreciated

bikes done 36000kms

·
Registered
6,832 Posts
Check the tank venting system....easy to do... when it cuts out pop the fuel cap....if there is any kind of air intake then it is blocked. Also check the fuel pump filters....not an easy task as most are 'in tank' and are often sealed. A possible way to clean them is to reverse flush with raw fuel or some good quality fuel system cleaner. This entails pulling it out of the tank though which can be a pain it the bum.

I would be tempted to do the cleaner through again as it sometimes only clears a bit then clogs up again. I would also check the feul tank filters and the tank itself for any foreign bodies or gunk build up.

Good luck

·
Super Moderator
12,534 Posts
Is this engine fuel injected or has carbs ?
The mention of an "air screw" is a bit confusing.
Could that be just an idle speed adjustment ?

The above suggestions are good too.

Since the "injector cleaner" might be doing some good, if you can't find anything else wrong
after most of that tankful is gone, some fresh gas with Berrymans B12 Chemtool might help even more.

·
Registered
7 Posts
for the heck of it drain tank. while its empty check filter, clean or replace put a gallon of ethanol free gas in and see how it runs. For an unknown reason my 05 wont run well on ethanol.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts