Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After I go up pass 8k rpms my bike starts jerking...just started doing this right after I put a full tank of gas. Anyone have an idea of why this might be?

·
Registered
418 Posts
If it just started doing this I would make sure the charging system is working properly. If that checks out I would take a look at the fuel strainer and pump. Is it worse with more throttle appied?

·
Super Moderator
12,351 Posts
After I go up pass 8k rpms my bike starts jerking...just started doing this right after I put a full tank of gas. Anyone have an idea of why this might be?
Given what you said, I suspect that you might "have an idea" what the cause might be: Bad gas.
Depending on how easy things are to get to on that model, a float bowl drain and water dispersant in the gas might fix you right up.......then there is draining the tank.
If both of those things are difficult to do or if it's fuel injected, then try some gas additive and pray.
If it does appear to be fuel related and you have a fuel filter, it should be changed too.

Of course, the gas could just be a coincidence.
Weak battery
Old plugs and/or wires
Valves need adjustment
Clogged air filer.......
etc.

What's redline?
Unlesss you are merging onto a high speed freeway, running ABOVE 8K routinely on the street likely is not a good thing to do.......for the bike or for you.

·
Registered
418 Posts
anyways I hope you tried to sighon as much of that gas out and replaced it with new?

I got a bad batch of gas once but it could barelly take off from a stop it was so bad. I hope it isn't anything more than fuel.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
@Drifter: I couldnt really tell kind of spooked me out and i just shifted up gears..because it runs smoothly before 8 rpm

@Easy Rider: redline on my bike is 15-17k..but i i dont think it's bad gas because its the same gas station i always use (a shell) and i had put gas in my car the same day..there may be a difference tho since i use premium in my bike

I'm going to check it out tomorrow then ill get back on here with an update on whats going on

·
Super Moderator
12,351 Posts
there may be a difference tho since i use premium in my bike
If your bike doesn't require higher octane, there are several reasons NOT to use "premium", not the least of which is usually a MUCH slower turn over in the storage tanks, making it more likely that the "premuim" is stale and contaminated. The engine also may actually run better on 87 or 89.

If you need the octane.......or have OCD about it, try to buy in a "high end" part of town where the $100K cars actually use premium and keep it fresh.

·
Registered
418 Posts
Using a siphon is often a waste of time......as most contaminants settle to the bottom, of the tank and the float bowls.
The one time I got %%%%% gas I sucked it out and filled it with premium from a different station and still no problems. I think it was dilluted though, can understand the contamination, I must have got lucky.

@Drifter: I couldnt really tell kind of spooked me out and i just shifted up gears..because it runs smoothly before 8 rpm

@Easy Rider: redline on my bike is 15-17k..but i i dont think it's bad gas because its the same gas station i always use (a shell) and i had put gas in my car the same day..there may be a difference tho since i use premium in my bike

I'm going to check it out tomorrow then ill get back on here with an update on whats going on
Just for giggles put a volt meter to the battery at an idle, it's quick and easy and elimanates a whole mess of "could be's." I am afraid it might be your fuel pump or pressure regulator but start small.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts