Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2005 M50 Black. I kept it stock for as long as I could, and I finally gave in and bought some aftermarket goodies (Hypercharger, Cobra Street Rod pipes and a FI2000 Power Pro fuel processer).
Initially I bought the Cobra tri pot processer because it was cheaper but I didn't like the aspect of adding the low/mid/top tuning similar to a carb, so I took it off and bought the one that boasts that it maps up to 80 times per second.
That may have made it run a little better, but didn't fix the problem. My problem is that when I come off throttle and it winds down, it chokes off.
I put new exaust gaskets on, and made sure that the installation was perfect.
With the Hypercharger came an adapter plate that wasn't supplied by Kuryakn. This has made me scratch my head a bit.The Hypercharger also required the tapping of a vacuum line to operate the butterflies, and that works fine.
Was there known issues (unable to sustain necessary vacuum) on these bikes?
This should be a plug and play application.
Anybody similar issues?
Does my computer need to be juiced up with a program?
Frustrated!!!
Anyone?

·
Super Moderator
12,670 Posts
Frustrated!!!
Anyone?
Welcome to the forum. I hope someone here can help.

I suggest you should start putting things back to stock one at a time, starting with the air intake, and see which one has the most effect.
Actually, you should be able to disconnect the fuel processor to see how it runs with just the other two mods in place.

That's about all I've got because I believe that the way to get more HP in your bike is to trade it in one one that was built with it.
And I'm not a big fan of loud pipes either.

P.S. I deleted your other post. More people have "seen" this one and having two going at once is just confusing.

Good luck; hope you get it running good again.

·
Registered
2,015 Posts
Not exactly sure what you mean by chokes off,but it sounds like sounds like your problem is with that hypercharger. Follow Easy's suggestion and put the stock filter back on and see if it fixes the problem. If so then you can troubleshoot the hypercharger. The fuel processor is your "juice for the computer". I changed to a K&N air filter and roadburner pipes with a power commander fuel processor and the only problem I had was popping and some backfires on decel. I removed the pair valve and fixed that problem. You may have to talk to the folks you bought the hypercharger from to find the problem with it.:cool:

·
Beer. Nature's Unstoppable Force.
13,226 Posts
I'm with Alo on this one. I used to run a Power Commander. Can't help you with the FI2000.

If you could explain what you mean by, "it chokes off" a little more. Maybe that'll help us help you.

However, on the question of mapping, you could probably get by without a custom map with just pipes alone, but if you insist on the Hypercharger, you HAVE to map it.

FYI, I was a first adopter of the M50 and guinea pig of sorts. Me and the other riders here kind of determined that the intakes designed for the M50 were for looks alone, there was no real gain in performance. Real or imagined. The stock intake gave you enough cfm to make max hp in that application. For that year bike the way to go was pipe it, and add a Power Commander with a good map or have a map made for you.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Hi,
I have excactly the same set, 2005 M50, Cobra streetrods, Cobra PowrPro and Kuryakyn Hypercharger.
Couple things to check, first thing, if you have lambda (I had, since I have european model) it really needs to be disabled, which is easy as cutting one cord going to ECU. I guess US models do not have lambda sensors.

Second thing, since you have hooked the HyperCharger to your vacuum line (flaps are moving back and forth, when you throttle, right?) check if your hypercharger leaks (mine did, although it was brand new). I had to open mine, and seal properly the diaphragm by putting sanitary silicone around it and letting it dry.
You can see if HC leaks by unplugging the hose from HC, turning the flaps close, plugging the hole (where hose was) with your finger, and let the flaps _try_ to open. There is a spring inside, which pushes the flaps open. If you hear hissing sound, and flaps get opened fully, your HC diaphragm leaks.

Many has had problems with the vacuum line from various reasons, and you can easily see, if the vacuum line is causing the problems by unplugging the line from HC and temporarily closing the hose airtight. The hose may have for example touched the engine and melted a hole there.

And of course you have checked the PowrPro light, it should _not_ blink while your engine is running. If it blinks recheck injector plug connections, and the ground (black) wire from powerpro, that it really connects to battery negative terminal.

These you could check for starters, good luck!

·
Registered
64 Posts
I guess I wrote too fast, I reread your message, and noticed that you said your HC flaps are working fine, which indicates, that your vacuum line should be ok. Aloraptor has a good idea to test to see, if it really is HC, or something else.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts