Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have comparisons of 0-60 and 1/4 mi. results for the 2005-6
Suzuki S83 Boulevard to other comparable bikes?
Sky

·
Registered
47 Posts
I wish I did. I have a friend who bought an '05 S83 new in August, and was recently complaining about a top speed of not quite a hundred. Knowing that, I wouldn't think 1/4 mile times would be all that great. I'm sure that could be improved significantly however, with a jet kit and opening up the airbox and exhaust (uncorking it). Stock, it won't even pull to the rev limiter, if there is one, in high gear.
The bike is pretty quick to 60 though, my best guess would be 0-60 in something like 4 seconds if you're light and really know how to launch it. The S83 is all about torque and low-end power, so I think it would do a lot better in the 1/8 mile than in the 1/4, in stock condition of course.

L.L.

'05 B12
05 DR650SE
'04 KX500

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
2005-6 Suzuki S83 Boulevard

In addition to an earlier post; Does anyone have comparisons of the top speed of the 2005-06 Suzuki S83 Boulevard vs. the competitors?
Sky

·
Registered
851 Posts
Top speed on the VS1400/S83 is 115mph and it will turn the 1/4 in 13.71 which until very recently was quickest of all the big twins. Only the Honda 1800 VTX, Yamaha Warrior, Vulcan 2000, The Victory lineup and the new M109 will out sprint it in the 1/4 mile. Even the vaunted Mean Streak in either configuration couldn't touch it. It's not the most comfortable machine, but IMO it's the best looking :cool: Check the Wrenching & Tips section on my site for lots of info and tips.

BTW it really ticks off S83/VS1400 owners that it's little brother the S50/VS800 will spank it in the 1/4 with a time of 13.31 and yes I'm talking stock bikes only

Smashinz2002 said:
I wish I did. I have a friend who bought an '05 S83 new in August, and was recently complaining about a top speed of not quite a hundred. Knowing that, I wouldn't think 1/4 mile times would be all that great. I'm sure that could be improved significantly however, with a jet kit and opening up the airbox and exhaust (uncorking it). Stock, it won't even pull to the rev limiter, if there is one, in high gear.
The bike is pretty quick to 60 though, my best guess would be 0-60 in something like 4 seconds if you're light and really know how to launch it. The S83 is all about torque and low-end power, so I think it would do a lot better in the 1/8 mile than in the 1/4, in stock condition of course.

L.L.

'05 B12
05 DR650SE
'04 KX500

·
Registered
47 Posts
Great info Night_Wolf, you've just answered some questions that I've had about the S83 also, even though I don't own one, a friend of mine does.
I'm sure he will be interested in knowing those 1/4 mile times and comparison to the S50. cool. So the 800 is actually quicker? wow. Never would have thought that.

L.L.

'05 B12
'05 DR650SE
'04 KX500

·
Banned
105 Posts
Since I have come to this forum and reading the posts I have become more interested in the S83, I hate my M50, and maybe if I move up to the S83 I might like it better, the first thing I noticed about the S83 is the postion of the footpegs, I like that, the bike looks more comfortable to ride and easiser to control, the only things I don't like is the small gas tank, and im not worried about top speed just so it doesn't vibrate at 75 to 80 mph. I love Suzuki Bikes, I just need the right one that pleases me.

·
Registered
596 Posts
I love my S83. I'm 6'06" and 220lbs. It is a very comfortable ride for me and I distance ride. Lots of torque. Regularly cruise on the Interstate at 75 to 80 mph. Smooth. Very quick in city traffic situations. Accelerates hard. Yes, I wish it had a larger tank.

Not worried about if it is faster, quicker or higher top end than others. Would buy a 'Busa or GSX1000 if that was the case.

This is my first cruiser style bike and my first V-Twin. Very happy with it but would still like a V-Strom also. DL650 actually. But don't want to give up my S83 to get one.

Mine will hit 115mph with the "Boulevard" windshield on. Don't know what it does 0-60 or in the 1/4 mile. Quick enough for me in dealing with traffic. Never had a problem keeping up with anyone I've ridden with.

·
Registered
851 Posts
You could say I'm a fan of the true Intruders and that is why I know what I do. I don't feel a need to feed a line of BS to impress anyone. I'm not the fastest rider you will ever meet, but I'm not the slowest either. Tell your friend when he wears out the stock tires to get him a set of Avon Venom X. IMHO they are the best, others will say the Metz ME880 and still others the Dunlops and a few run Pirelli's. I know one twisty local road I ride I was able to run it a gear higher with the Venoms than I could with the stock Bridgestones.

The reason why the S50/VS800 is quicker in stock trim is a better power to weight ratio. The stock S50 is 477lbs wet and makes 53hp, the stock S83 is 575lbs wet and makes 58hp. An extra 100 lbs and only 5 hp. Every 10lbs equals 1 hp so you need an extra 10 just to overcome the extra weight. That's why stock vs stock the VS800 is quicker.

The M50 and C50 both weigh in the 550lbs range and both make aprox 45hp andthat is why both are so much slower than the S50. I'm assuming both are more comfy that the S50 however. BTW top speed on the S50/M50 & C50 is 105.

Have your friend swing by my website, there is a ton of tips for the VS Intruders/S series Boulevards. A lot of basic info too that everyone asks about.

Smashinz2002 said:
Great info Night_Wolf, you've just answered some questions that I've had about the S83 also, even though I don't own one, a friend of mine does.
I'm sure he will be interested in knowing those 1/4 mile times and comparison to the S50. cool. So the 800 is actually quicker? wow. Never would have thought that.

L.L.

'05 B12
'05 DR650SE
'04 KX500

·
Registered
851 Posts
Just remember it's not the bike, it's the rider and if you try and run tire pressure of 18lbs on the Intruder like you do on the M50 you are an idiot. FWIW I don't suffer fools easily, so take my words however you wish. I may be a qualified instructor, but I haven't been riding that long that I don't remember exactly where you are in your learning curve on the street. Take or leave my advice, but don't try and tell me you know, because you have already proven you don't :rolleyes:

TM50 said:
Since I have come to this forum and reading the posts I have become more interested in the S83, I hate my M50, and maybe if I move up to the S83 I might like it better, the first thing I noticed about the S83 is the postion of the footpegs, I like that, the bike looks more comfortable to ride and easiser to control, the only things I don't like is the small gas tank, and im not worried about top speed just so it doesn't vibrate at 75 to 80 mph. I love Suzuki Bikes, I just need the right one that pleases me.

·
Registered
851 Posts
You can get a larger tank :cool: I have one waiting to get painted :) I have a cast rim on the front, want a smoothie for the rear, leatherlyke lockable luggage, backrest extension, passenger peg lowers Suzuki gel seat, trim etc. I love the Style and yes the performance of the Intruder. I have ridden with a cpl guys who can and will outride sportbikes on the Dragon on their Intruders. One is on a raked out 1400 :cool: and the one guy can wheelie it in first & second gear at will ;) It is an awesome machine

S83 said:
I love my S83. I'm 6'06" and 220lbs. It is a very comfortable ride for me and I distance ride. Lots of torque. Regularly cruise on the Interstate at 75 to 80 mph. Smooth. Very quick in city traffic situations. Accelerates hard. Yes, I wish it had a larger tank.

Not worried about if it is faster, quicker or higher top end than others. Would buy a 'Busa or GSX1000 if that was the case.

This is my first cruiser style bike and my first V-Twin. Very happy with it but would still like a V-Strom also. DL650 actually. But don't want to give up my S83 to get one.

Mine will hit 115mph with the "Boulevard" windshield on. Don't know what it does 0-60 or in the 1/4 mile. Quick enough for me in dealing with traffic. Never had a problem keeping up with anyone I've ridden with.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Night_Wolf said:
Top speed on the VS1400/S83 is 115mph and it will turn the 1/4 in 13.71 which until very recently was quickest of all the big twins. Only the Honda 1800 VTX, Yamaha Warrior, Vulcan 2000, The Victory lineup and the new M109 will out sprint it in the 1/4 mile. Even the vaunted Mean Streak in either configuration couldn't touch it. It's not the most comfortable machine, but IMO it's the best looking :cool: Check the Wrenching & Tips section on my site for lots of info and tips.

BTW it really ticks off S83/VS1400 owners that it's little brother the S50/VS800 will spank it in the 1/4 with a time of 13.31 and yes I'm talking stock bikes only

Nope, the HD Fatboy beats it at 13.51, its only 1500 cc also.
Hers the link where they were tested.http://motorcyclecruiser.com/roadtests/littlebigtwins/

·
Registered
851 Posts
Yea that test said the 1400 didn't qualify based on past results and it beats the Meek Streak :rolleyes: Different dynoes and different days give different results. Was that a stock HD Fatboy, cause I have yet to see a harley put those type of Numbers in stock trim

Jiffyjam said:
Nope, the HD Fatboy beats it at 13.51, its only 1500 cc also.
Hers the link where they were tested.http://motorcyclecruiser.com/roadtests/littlebigtwins/

·
Registered
851 Posts
Hey don't take my Meek Streak comment to heart. All bikes are great and it's just one big p*ssing contest. There is only one bike I'll say I hate and yes it is a Kawi, but not the Streak. A buddy of mine has one and I'm just used to saying that to him. Nothing personal ok :cool:

http://www.motorcyclecruiser.com/roadtests/Musclebikes/
Mean Streak time 13.76

http://www.motorcyclecruiser.com/roadtests/BigTwins97/
1400 Intruder 13.71

http://www.motorcyclecruiser.com/roadtests/intruder14/
1400 Intruder 13.64

http://www.motorcyclecruiser.com/roadtests/bt99/
Dyna Super Glide supposedly beats the Intruder and the Old Vulcan 1500 which was the closest to the Intruder in performance #'s

Like I said depending upon the day and the rider, the numbers can and do change

cjjtulsa said:
Nevermind.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Night_Wolf said:
Yea that test said the 1400 didn't qualify based on past results and it beats the Meek Streak :rolleyes: Different dynoes and different days give different results. Was that a stock HD Fatboy, cause I have yet to see a harley put those type of Numbers in stock trim

Read the article, the test was done in 03 ( I think ) with all stock bikes.

·
Registered
851 Posts
I did read it "claimed" 13.50 but as I mentioned it seems depending upon the day and the rider and the dyno machine will get different results. I recently saw a review from England on the DL650 where they "claimed" 10 more hp than any other report for the bike. I was wondering if they even rode the machine. Is it possible the Fat Boy turned in a 13.50?? Hell yea, but is it likely??? I have seen a lot of reports over the years and the Harely has never beaten the Intruder. FWIW the 87-88 Intruders are "claimed" to get in the upper 12's, but without anything to back it up I'll remain a disbeliever.

Jiffyjam said:
Read the article, the test was done in 03 ( I think ) with all stock bikes.

·
Banned
105 Posts
Mr Nightwolf, I agree you are an expert on bikes, I checked out ur web page and im impressed. I can't get my M50 to lean around tight curves at high speeds like you can on ur V Strom. The lower tire pressure helps, the tires give, and grip. When im riding with my friends its embarressing when im the last bike coming outta a tight curve. I live in the mountains of Pennsylvania, we have mountain roads with hairpin turns, I need my bike to take these curves without slowing down. When I owned my DRZ400S I took the same tight curves at a higher speed than I can with my M50, and I was running DOT knobbies on my DRZ. Maybe its the tires, maybe if I switch to a better tire the traction and handling will improve on my M50, but for the time being, lower air pressure on the stock tires works just fine.

·
Registered
851 Posts
I'm not an expert at all. Compared to you, yes I'm an "expert" ;) You think a faster bike will solve your problems. I can guarantee you it WON'T. All a "faster" bike will do is amplify the problems you are currently experiencing. :(

Who cares if you are the last out of the twisties :confused: I got news for you if you were riding with my group and passed someone in a curve I'd chew you a new [edited: don't attempt to override the profanity filters, please]. Last going in means last going out ;) We don't pass each other as a game :idea: Riding is dangerous enough without acting like a "squid"

Believe what you want, but get that [edited: don't attempt to override the profanity filters, please] tire pressure back in the mid 30lb range and learn how to ride the bike you have. If you quit looking at all the supposed "faults" of your bike and "LEARN" to ride it, you might be surprised at what it can actually do. I'm not one to make idle boasts, but I bet I could spank yer *** with me riding a Ninja 250. How would your ego feel then :confused: A bike with 150hp is only going to get you killed. If pavement scares you that much stick with dirt. For gawds sake keep yer mouth shut and listen to/read what others are saying/typing. You just make people think you are more stupid than you possibly are, especially when you say 18lbs of pressure is safe on a street machine.

TM50 said:
Mr Nightwolf, I agree you are an expert on bikes, I checked out ur web page and im impressed. I can't get my M50 to lean around tight curves at high speeds like you can on ur V Strom. The lower tire pressure helps, the tires give, and grip. When im riding with my friends its embarressing when im the last bike coming outta a tight curve. I live in the mountains of Pennsylvania, we have mountain roads with hairpin turns, I need my bike to take these curves without slowing down. When I owned my DRZ400S I took the same tight curves at a higher speed than I can with my M50, and I was running DOT knobbies on my DRZ. Maybe its the tires, maybe if I switch to a better tire the traction and handling will improve on my M50, but for the time being, lower air pressure on the stock tires works just fine.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts