Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I am a complete noob. I just got a 2005 S40 with 1535 miles. It obviously sat somewhere for a while. First day, it backfired twice when I rode it home...after a few miles. Called sales guy who told me not to worry, bike has sat, no biggie. I put about 200 miles on it, filled up with ethanol free 93 octane. Today, on the way home from work, bike started to jerk (?), backfired several times and stalled. Not a good thing at 55 mpg, I guess. I cruised to a safe spot, waited a few minutes and it started right up. A few miles later, same thing....jerk, pop, stall. When I tried to start it up, it would crank, but not "catch", I guess. I duck walked it over to a gas station, waited fifteen minutes and since I could not think of anything else to do, filled up gas tank. I managed to put in 2.3 gallons, tank apparently holds 2.8 gallons. Bike started right up, and I made it home okay after that. All electrics worked the whole time. Any ideas what I can do to avoid this? Was the gas just low and sloshing around in there? Did I spend my money on a dud bike? Also, I love the bike, was I just stupid and too low on gas? Any ideas would be welcome, because I am a fifty year old English teacher, and I would rather not have a school bus full of students see me stranded...

·
Super Moderator
13,463 Posts
Also, I love the bike, was I just stupid and too low on gas? .
Alas that probably is the answer......well except for the stupid part.
Ignorance is a different matter and is curable. :bluethum:

You need to visit your "sales guy" again so he can show you where the reserve switch on the gas control valve is.
Now you know what it feels like when it is time to switch to reserve and you just need to know HOW to do that.

To help prevent that happening again, he also needs to show you how to work the "trip" odometer.
If the bike gets about 40 miles per gallon, you need to start looking for gas every 80-100 miles.......before you have to switch to reserve.

And some additional notes:
The cost really isn't that much but there is NO advantage to using premium gas, except maybe for it being ethanol free.
It might actually run a little better on regular.

I would also suggest that you get in the habit of giving it a dose of a good carb cleaner every 6 weeks or so during the riding season, mixed in with the gas, that is.
I like Gumout or Berrymans B12.

OH and welcome to the forum.
The more the merrier.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks a lot, I actually thought about switching iver to reserve, but when I peeked into the tank, I thought I might still have enough to keep going. I try to keep track of the odometer, and apparently I can get somewhat under 50mpg. I guess that depends on how I ride, but still...I figured 2.8 * +\- 50 mpg = 140 miles, and I was way under that. Well, maybe not WAY, but way.Thanks about the tip with the carb cleaner, I was thinking HEET, but will try what you suggested. And I will likely switch to the 90 octane ethanol free, simply because the lack of ethanol should help with moisture in the tank.Thanks again

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
you were probably just low on gas. is there a reserve setting on the petcock? some bikes dont like getting low on gas. i know my m prefers at least .75 gallons left it'll start to stutter if i get below that and hit a hill or sharp turn. best thing to do is figure out what kinda gas milage you are getting and pick a mileage count to fill up.
with that small of a tank and the mpg you should get around town. filling up every time your odo gets near 00 should keep this from happening.
barring that you can always get a small gasoline bottle and keep it in your backpack.

you shouldnt need 93 octane in that bike.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks again. You are right, there is no trip odometer, and so there is a bit of mental Arithmetic involved. There is a reserve setting on the bike, but I was just flabbergasted...and not sure whether the reserve would have gotten me home. Also, no gas stations close to home. Anyhow, I will keep track of mpg, and see what happens. So...mid grade or regular? And I assume without ethanol? (And of course, the only place selling ethanol free gas is twenty miles away, which kinda defeats the purpose...)

·
Super Moderator
13,463 Posts
I guess that depends on how I ride, but still...I figured 2.8 * +\- 50 mpg = 140 miles,

And I will likely switch to the 90 octane ethanol free, simply because the lack of ethanol should help with moisture in the tank.Thanks again
A couple of mis-conceptions here:

IF the total tank capacity is 2.8, then the last .8 or so is reserved for the "reserve" and your range without switching is 2X50 or 100 approx. After switching, you should be good for about 30 miles or so.

Then...... having a bit of ethanol in the gas already doesn't cause a problem with water, it actually helps prevent a problem because it will absorb small amounts before they accumulate into an amount that will cause trouble. Ethanol in fuel is NOT the work of the devil......as many would have you believe.
You don't need HEET if you use E10 fuel; HEET is just another form of alcohol (methanol).

So.......practice switching from RUN to RES "on the fly" so you won't have to stop and restart.
But once you get your useable range down you shouldn't have to worry about that very often if at all.

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
Thanks again. You are right, there is no trip odometer, and so there is a bit of mental Arithmetic involved. There is a reserve setting on the bike, but I was just flabbergasted...and not sure whether the reserve would have gotten me home. Also, no gas stations close to home. Anyhow, I will keep track of mpg, and see what happens. So...mid grade or regular? And I assume without ethanol? (And of course, the only place selling ethanol free gas is twenty miles away, which kinda defeats the purpose...)
im pretty sure its regular. but i dont have an owners manual to look at for that bike.,
you'll get slightly better gas mileage out of non ethanol gas. but its not going to be a huge difference. i wouldnt drive 20 miles out of my way to get it but if its on your daily commute might as well fill up there.
i'd just fill up ever time the odo is close to 00. or you can track your mileage some other way ( grease pencil on the mirror, cheap 3 dial luggage lock) just to make remembering easier. theres several smartphone apps as well ( more useful for tracking mpg than filling up).

1 - 8 of 8 Posts