Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2005 Suzuki S83 Boulevard Cruiser Motorcycle. The clutch throttle grip builds up pressure when it is cool. When I ride it and it heats up, I loose all tension in the throttle and have zero clutch. How can I fix this problem?

·
Registered
5,197 Posts
Proper preventiative maintenance is your friend- you have to change the clutch fluid every year or two, otherwise the fluid breaks down, gets full of little bubbles and sludge, and the clutch stops working correctly. These instructions are for the 800 Intruder, but your 1400 is done the same way:

http://www.bobhenneman.info/bleed.htm

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Suzuki S83 has new clutch plates and has been bled but doesn't want to engage. When stopped, it still moves forward plus shifting is very difficult. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
926 Posts
The S83/VS1400 clutch is notoriously hard to bleed well. Easy is right though - if there is decent pressure, or resistance in the lever action then I would go back through the clutch. Did you replace the springs while you were in there?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Pheonix,
Can you comment on a similar problem. My S83 was leaking fluid at the slave cylinder- took it apart, replaced the piston seal, back together then bleed the thing twice and the clutch will not engage! It will push fluid out of the slave, including bubbles, but there is no tension at the handle and it will not shift. Any ideas would be helpful. Thanks Brian

·
Super Moderator
12,597 Posts
and the clutch will not engage!
The last post to this thread was SIX YEARS AGO so it's not likely he will answer.

Your problem is that the clutch will not DIS- engage (release).
There should be NO bubbles when bleeding, at least not that are easily seen with the naked eye.

There is a problem with your bleeding technique.......or your new slave piston is not making a good seal.

·
Registered
12 Posts
ER, thank you for setting me straight -dis-engage. I bled till no bubbles and followed my Clymer manual to the T. Do you think I have a faulty slave? If the seal was bad I figure I would have fluid dripping out again. Could there possibly be a problem with the master clutch cylinder and not being able to force the fluid through with enough power?? Appreciate your thoughts-this is my first post on MF

·
Super Moderator
12,597 Posts
Did you also bleed at the "banjo bolts" ?

You can temporarily pinch off the hose near the MS to see if it is working or not.

If it builds up pressure with the hose pinched, then the problem is farther down the line.

On some models, it is almost a requirement to "reverse bleed" to get it working again.
Don't know if yours is one of those or not.

Also it is fairly common for a "bleeding rookie" to overlook or mis-interpret a step or two in the procedure.

I would think that most any bike shop would finish the job for you at minimal cost.
But then the problem is getting it there.

Good luck. Not much more I can say.......because I HATE brake and clutch work just because of stuff like this.

·
Registered
12 Posts
ER, again thank you for your thoughts. I bled again and more bubbles came out! But then got to where I could not see any and still no dis-engage of clutch. I do not know how to bleed at Banjo bolt. I get mad at myself when I cannot fix something like this but I want to get on the road so I am taking your advice and the Boulevard will take a ride on a U-haul trailer on thursday to the MC shop. Stange, no cycle shop in Charlottesville VA, so over the mountain I go to the Shenandoah valley to a shop there. I'll be back on it soon I'm sure. Thanks.

·
Super Moderator
12,597 Posts
I get mad at myself when I cannot fix something like this
THAT is a terrible mistake and not justified if you have had no formal training on brake systems.
So what, you think you should automatically be able to figure out ANYTHING ?? It doesn't work that way.

I've been wrenching on vehicles and engines for around 50 years but will NOT do brakes; it's more of an art than a skill.
You need some training AND experience, guided by somebody who KNOWS.

·
Banned
4 Posts
THAT is a terrible mistake and not justified if you have had no formal training on brake systems.
So what, you think you should automatically be able to figure out ANYTHING ?? It doesn't work that way.

I've been wrenching on vehicles and engines for around 50 years but will NOT do brakes; it's more of an art than a skill.
You need some training AND experience, guided by somebody who KNOWS.

·
Banned
4 Posts
1. Nobody needs your opinions on a forum about a motorcycle, forums are for factual information only.
2. The post is about clutches not brakes so maybe read before you spit out some incoherent crap
3. I've got a tag that's been working on cars less than 6 months and he does brake jobs just fine.
4. If you've actually been a mechanic for 50 years and you still don't do brakes because they're complicated, you're the least intelligent technician I've ever met in all the years I've been doing this, therefore your opinion means less and your factual information isn't trustworthy.

·
Super Moderator
12,597 Posts
1. Nobody needs your opinions on a forum about a motorcycle, forums are for factual information only.
Well.....that's pretty funny.
Who gets to define the "facts" ?

Incase you haven't noticed, in THIS forum I hold the "delete button".
Your abrasive demeanor is not appreciated.

One more nasty post and you will find that the fact is that you aren't welcome here any more.

·
Registered
6,850 Posts
Ken has been a member on this forum for a long time...he can be a bit direct but he is no fraud. I do brakes and clutches and am not a mechanic...I am a certified engineer... but its in metal fabrication.

Brakes can be ticky...as can clutches and I believe what ER was saying is if you are not sure on what you are doing its best to take it to someone who does....esp brakes. Abuse is not called for and any forum will have the same rules...I'm surprised someone with your claimed experience doesnt seem to know that.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts