Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,
thanks for reading this. Bike only has 14K miles. I can shift up but when shifting down hard to get in next lower gear. Lever acts like it has bottomed out and will not "click" back up to go in next gear. Took to dealer, they said change oil - bought semi synthetic and changed. Then it did shift better for a spell, then started same problem. After about 500 miles, changed oil again and put in full synthetic. Worked for awhile, now same problem. It just will not shift smoothly going down.
Please help with your sage advice.
Thank you.

·
Super Moderator
12,160 Posts
You need to inspect the linkage and lubricate it.
You also need to have someone check the linkage THROW while you are actually doing some "dry" shifts (that is with the engine OFF).
Third possibility is that the clutch is dragging. If it is a cable, it might need adjustment or might be stretching out......and about to break.

I'm betting on something in the linkage sticking but having a fat toed boot under the front of the shifter can be a problem too.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Easy Rider-thank you, thank you, thank you!
I could kick myself in the pants for this. But you were exactly right. I simply lubricated the shift linkages and sure enough it is shifting like a charm. I just don't know why the dealer service mgr didn't suggest this.
Anyway, had a great ride yesterday thanks to you! And will keep that baby lubed.
Cheers for a great new year.
Brian C.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Glad that you got it sorted out. If it acts up again, please keep in mind that your's has a hydraulic clutch (no traditional clutch cable) and it might only need to be bled (similar to bleeding brakes).

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
To Easy Rider and Sinical,
Wow, I did temporarily use WD 40, but will take the linkage apart soon and clean them up well. What do you suggest, some kind of grease?
About the hydraulic clutch. I had a leaking slave cylinder, rebuilt that, but for the life of me could not properly bleed the thing. I had to trailer it to the dealer to have them bleed it. Hope no further problems there.
One final thing. I had a slow motion slide out in some mud and it layed down and bent the left foot pedal. I assume I can take just the pedal off and replace with another?
Thanks again for your thoughts.
Brian

·
Registered
98 Posts
Yes, the replacement foot pedal should be a direct swap-out. Might have to remove the entire foot rest bracket to access the pedal mounting bolt (not positive and hopefully not) If you buy the entire foot pedal assembly, it can be pretty pricey. You could save some bread if you can just order the part(s) you need and re-use the good parts from your original.

If you go to www.bikebandit.com you can check out their parts diagram under "frame and foot rest", then "OEM parts", then "foot rest". BikeBandit refers to your model as the S83.

Better prices can be found at www.rockymountainatvmc.com. Same parts, they just refer to your model as VS1400.

Did the dump happen before the shifting prob ? Just wondering if the shifter pedal took a hit or not. If you're still good to go there after lubing it, so much the better. Few squirts of oil or a small amount of grease should work. WD40 can work in the short term, but it's not technically a lubricant. The "WD" stands for "Water Displacer" and is O.K. for less critical applications.

·
Super Moderator
12,160 Posts
In many cases, you can just bend the shift lever back into the proper shape.
I even had a guy do that on a Honda BY HAND.
Yes, he was a BRUTE of a guy !!!!

I like silicone spray for lub'ing most things.
The residue is dry and it doesn't get "gummy" like most oil based products do.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Great info and good ideas.
The slide out occured after the shifting problem, so the shifter did not take a hit.
Thanks.

·
Super Moderator
12,160 Posts
The slide out occured after the shifting problem, so the shifter did not take a hit.
Thanks.
Guess I should read more carefully. :roll:

You need to carefully inspect the damage to see exactly what is bent and where.

A machine shop or auto body shop might be able to "coax" it back into shape; then some black paint might be required (assuming the frame is black).

·
Registered
2 Posts
Gobrc, After buying new master and slave cylinders, I found clutch wont bleed while on side stand. It needs to be straight up! Good luck

1 - 11 of 11 Posts