Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am a brand new motorcycle rider and just bought a 2006 Boulevard with 34k miles. It originally was running great but yesterday I was running it in my garage but it stalled out after I gave it a little gas ad would not start again. I thought it was a dead battery because it was making the clicking noise when i tried to start it. I put a brand new battery in and now it'll turn over, but it wont start unless I give it a little gas, but as soon as I take the gas off it stalls out. I have not tried to drive it this way, so don't know if it will stall out while moving, and I don't want to try it. Another issue is the previous owner added a bunch of aftermarket lights and now that I'm looking closely it's very poorly wired. what would the best way to go about rewiring this? Because I have no idea what it's supposed to look like at all. Because I replaced the LED headlight that wasn't working with a halogen and now the default is high-beam and when I turn on high beam it goes to low. I also cannot turn off the headlight. Any advice is greatly appreciated, just really worried I wasted 3k on a bum motorcycle.

·
Super Moderator
14,035 Posts
now the default is high-beam and when I turn on high beam it goes to low. I also cannot turn off the headlight. Any advice is greatly appreciated, just really worried I wasted 3k on a bum motorcycle.
The headlight is SUPPOSED to be on all the time.....that the ignition is ON, that is.
The HI/LOW switch thing doesn't seem like a serious problem to me as long as you know which is which.
If that really bothers you, that can be fixed by switching two wires.

Did you fully charge your new battery before installing it ??
If not, you need to do that NOW.
At some point, you need to check the charging voltage at the battery, after you get it running.

Does this model have carbs or is it fuel injected ??

If it is carb'ed, you need a double dose of Berrymans B12 in the gas and you need to use the choke when starting cold.
And the choke needs to stay partially ON until it warms up.

If it is fuel injected, a shop visit might be required. Could be a plugged fuel filter, bad fuel pump, plugged tank vent or several other things.

·
Registered
1,824 Posts
All Boulevards are fuel injected. When Suzuki changed their cruiser models to Boulevard, they were fuel injected. Just out of curiosity, what model did you get for that price and mileage?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you for the advice. It is fuel injected and yes the battery is charged. It is now almost starting, the cylinders sound like they are firing, but it wont stay on still unless I give it a touch of gas. Could it be my idle rpms are too low? And it is a 2006 Boulevard C50 VL800.

·
Registered
1,824 Posts
I wish you the best of luck and I hope you're able to correct the issue for little or no money. Where are you located? Someone close may be able to help or recommend help.

·
Super Moderator
14,035 Posts
Could it be my idle rpms are too low?
Yes.
Is the air intake and filter stock......and firmly in place when you are trying to start it ??

Somewhere there should be a "coolant temperature sensor" that does roughly what the choke used to do when the engine is cold.
That might be defective or disconnected too.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I am located in San Diego. The air intake and filter stock are firmly in place when I start it. I can check tomorrow on the coolant sensor, I don't get much free time on weekdays to work on this. I turned the idle rpms up today and the bike ran as long as the screw was all the way in but the rpms skyrocketed. Not sure what this means. Worse case at least now I know I'll be able to drive it to a shop at least if I can't fix this. Would you recommend a new air filter? Clogged air intake?

·
Super Moderator
14,035 Posts
Not sure what this means.
. Would you recommend a new air filter? Clogged air intake?
It means that the screw is in too far......but if it won't keep running with it backed out a bit, that also means that is NOT the source of the problem.

New air filter......yes but AFTER the basic problem is solved.
Highly unlikely that is the cause of the problem but you can test by taking the air filter OUT and trying it that way.
And no it won't hurt anything to run without it for a few minutes or a few miles......unless you have dirt roads or there is a dust storm.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Wow, I was going to write a post, but you already wrote it for me. I'm having the exact same issue on my 2007 S83 with 10k miles, though I dont have any aftermarket parts on mine. I just replaced the battery tonight and it took it a minute but it fired up and is now running strong, hopefully we just both had bad batteries.

·
Registered
7,332 Posts
I would try some fuel system cleaner through it....if it is the fuel pump filter/s then it may well clear them sufficiently to get it running. A simple test would be to check the plugs to see if they are dry when the problem occurs. I wasnt aware that fuel injected machines had an idle screw....might see if mine has just for fun...but as Easy said it doesnt seem to be an idle issue more a fuel delivery one.

How about popping the fuel cap open when it does this....if you hear a slight hiss, or the motor runs fine with it open then its more than likely the vent system is blocked. What is the weather like where you are....if its been very wet/humid you may have some water or moisture in the fuel system....typically the fuel tank.

Some rubbing alcohol can be added to absorb the moisture if any is present. methylated spirit can also be used....only a small amount mind!

Water mixes with it, water doesn't mix with petrol. but alcohol also mixes with petrol. So, when you add water, rubbing alcohol/meths and petrol, you get a miscible solution of all three liquids which is then burned in the engine thus getting shut of any moisture.

Good luck

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I turned up the idle slightly and it ran. While running I lowered the idle again and then revved the engine hard a few times. Seems to have fixed the problem. Although when starting to ride it I messed up and it stalled out and wouldn't start again without a bit of gas, but it shifted into first fine and I rode it around my neighborhood a few times, only up to 3rd but it seems to be fine now. Will probably take it in to a mechanic to do a tune up and they can see if they can find anything I missed. Thanks for all the help guys!

·
Registered
7,332 Posts
Runs some fuel system cleaner through before parting with any cash to a mechanic who will charge like a wounded bull to maybe do the same. Also leave it overnight or longer if possible to do its magic.

Good luck

·
Registered
7,332 Posts
Old post....plus thats a big leap of faith.... how a temp sensor causes an engine to stall out but not when the throttle is opened slightly.....no I wouldn't think that more likely a fuel delivery problem.

·
Super Moderator
14,035 Posts
Someone up thread said all boulevards are fuel injected. I know for a fact that my 2005 Boulevard S83 is carbureted.
Another "quirk" of Suzuki.
They play fast and loose with model names.
They tacked "Boulevard" onto several different model lines.......that bear little or no resemblance to each other.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts