Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,
I'm having problems with my bike. Every now and then when riding, power shuts off but I still have throttle control. The tack drops and the numbers for the gear im in and the speed freeze to their current value. I can keep the bikes velocity constant or accelerate. However, i have no electrical power like horn or turn signals. Once i stop the bike shuts off and wont restart. I then unhook then hook in the battery but it still wont start; lights come on but the tack doesn't move and it wont start. The only way to get it going again is by bump starting it. What could be causing this? One person said it is the ECM but that is a pricey replacement for a guess. Thoughts? Thanks! :)

·
Super Moderator
13,086 Posts
Really ??
Has nobody suggested the battery and/or the charging system ??

First check the connections at the battery.
Then have the battery and charging system tested.

My guess is that the cables are loose or the battery is REALLY dead.

Having a small battery charger and a multi-meter would be really helpful.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Really ??
Has nobody suggested the battery and/or the charging system ??

First check the connections at the battery.
Then have the battery and charging system tested.

My guess is that the cables are loose or the battery is REALLY dead.

Having a small battery charger and a multi-meter would be really helpful.

I'll give the charging system a look. The battery is new and last time we used a volt-meter or multi-meter and turned the bike on, reved it, used the horn, turn signals, high-beams, brake lights, and the battery still held a charge.

·
Registered
6,976 Posts
Might also want to see if you can jump the dealer plug to get a read out of possible fault codes. GSXR dealer plugs are typically under the seat and consist of a blind plug with a rubber boot fitted to it. The Hayabusa one has two wires that you jump...using a paper clip is fine rather than paying Mr Suzuki $50:00 or more for the dealer switch...however if there are more than two wires it is best to find out which ones need to be jumped...try a GSXR specific forum.

Good luck

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Might also want to see if you can jump the dealer plug to get a read out of possible fault codes. GSXR dealer plugs are typically under the seat and consist of a blind plug with a rubber boot fitted to it. The Hayabusa one has two wires that you jump...using a paper clip is fine rather than paying Mr Suzuki $50:00 or more for the dealer switch...however if there are more than two wires it is best to find out which ones need to be jumped...try a GSXR specific forum.Good luck
Yeah, I went to three gsxr forums today. Thank you for your time. I think it might be the r/r since it's a major problem.

·
Registered
6,976 Posts
Ah yes I have heard this some reckon you can fit a Honda one and it makes the problem go away...Fireblade from memory

·
Super Moderator
13,086 Posts
and the battery still held a charge.
It's more important to measure it when the engine is OFF.
With the engine running, you are really measuring the charging system and not the battery itself.

·
Super Moderator
13,086 Posts
I think it might be the r/r since it's a major problem.
And I think you are headed for an expensive mistake by guessing at what might be wrong.

IF the voltage reads 13 or above when the bike is running, it is likely that the R/R or stator is NOT the problem.

·
Registered
6,976 Posts
Ken these bikes have a history of RR faults. It may not be this but it is easy to check as you state.

·
Registered
6,976 Posts
Where is it mounted?....Mr Suckzuki has been known to be a bit tight fisted when building some bikes... saving a short length of wire was more important than allowing excess voltage to be fed back into the alternator resulting in many burning out. They fixed the rr overheating fault by mounting it in the air flow under the belly pan of Hayabusa's and the GSXR models too I though....although this may be post 06 so it wont apply....come to think of it my 06 Busa didnt have the rr fitted in this manner.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Where is it mounted?....Mr Suckzuki has been known to be a bit tight fisted when building some bikes... saving a short length of wire was more important than allowing excess voltage to be fed back into the alternator resulting in many burning out. They fixed the rr overheating fault by mounting it in the air flow under the belly pan of Hayabusa's and the GSXR models too I though....although this may be post 06 so it wont apply....come to think of it my 06 Busa didnt have the rr fitted in this manner.
Right in front of the headers and behind the alternator. I took a laser heat temp reader and it got hotter than the block. I'm gonna put it in the air intake unless someone has a different idea; that seems the most popular. Cheers!

·
Registered
6,976 Posts
It may already be toast so be prepared for the problem to continue untill another is fitted...remember the Honda alternative.

Good luck and let people know if it makes a difference...:bluethum:

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
It may already be toast so be prepared for the problem to continue untill another is fitted...remember the Honda alternative. Good luck and let people know if it makes a difference...:bluethum:
Will do Steve. I'll look into a Honda r/r.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts