Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2,464 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK here is the deal. I have a 2006 Suzuki Boulevard M50, has about 11,250 miles on it and most of them are highway miles. Dont really run the crap outta the bike but now and then the throttle grip turns more than I normally would but it no way is this bike abused. Anyways to the point.
About a week ago I noticed a ticking noise coming from the engine-figured great, valves are loose (odd seens I just checked them before riding season, about 9K or 10K miles). But the more I listen to it the more I dont think its the valves, I have heard the valves loose and dont think thats it. I think its something else internal of the engine. My brother believes it may be the cam chain tensioner going bad.
Its more noticable when first started up, when going down the road you cant hear it, but if you sit next to it and listen at idle you can hear the ticking-its not normal, and the ticking matches the RPM, more RPM the louder/faster the ticking.
I plan on taking it to a dealer to get an opinion-lets hear what all you experts have to say so I may have some idea of what the dealer may say

Thanks for the help guys

·
Registered
4,448 Posts
i've always heard that and i've always thought it was the fuel injection.

hmm... maybe a wyle E. coyote bomb strapped under the tank? :)

·
Registered
2,464 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Nope-not fuel injection-its a new noise that just started couple days ago. Bike used to be quiet and purr like kitten until couple days ago-also add the bike runs great, no hesitation or anything-just sounds funny

·
Registered
2,464 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Only time I can hear it is when its idling and im sitting next to it-can not hear it when riding down the road-pipes and wind noise drown it out

Ticking increases with RPM, more gas you give the faster the ticking- let off the gas and the ticking slows down

Called the dealer today-im gonna run it up to them and get there opinion tomorrow and see what they think

·
Registered
121 Posts
My c50 has a noise like that, that started at about 10000 miles,the dealer says no need to worry .Alot of c50's are noisey.I would still let them check it out though,just to be on the safe side.The m50 should be the close to the same engine.By the way mine runs as good as always even with the noise.Good luck.

·
Registered
2,464 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
My c50 has a noise like that, that started at about 10000 miles,the dealer says no need to worry .Alot of c50's are noisey.I would still let them check it out though,just to be on the safe side.The m50 should be the close to the same engine.By the way mine runs as good as always even with the noise.Good luck.

I think the M50/C50 have the same engine-just differant dress up I guess you could say.

·
Registered
2,464 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Ok update so far
Bike is at dealer-the ticking stops when it warms up so the dealer kept it overnight and will listen to it when cold-they are thinking cam chain but not sure-wanna here it when cold-not gonna charge me to keep over night and listen to it-gonna call me and let me know tomorrow.

Although I called another dealer and told them what its doing and they said its normal, bike sits on side stand and all oil to one side-ticks until oil is through entire system and after few minutes it stops.

They also said that the bike needs to sit for about 15 minutes to warm up before riding it-lol-sounds like BS to me

Wait and see

·
Registered
4,448 Posts
15 mins to warm up? umm... i don't even give it 5...
i wait till rpms drop and i go.
but ya... mine ticks and stops when warmed up i *think*
i dunno... i don't hear much with my music on :b-rock:

·
Registered
335 Posts
I to am interested in the outcome here. I also have an odd ticking I can hear at start up but not during regular riding. I hear it again only upon hard acceleration in any gear, it sounds like a ball bearing is bouncing all around in the front jug. So hard acceleration is not something I do often. Other than that, the bike runs & sounds perfect. I have 15k and just did my second valve adjustment.

·
Registered
2,464 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
ok, have the bike back and talked to dealer-they are almost 100% positive the noise is a loose valve, they cant figure it to be anything else, so im gonna check the valves tomorrrow and see what happens-hopefully its all she needs. I almost let them do it but couldnt see spending $200 for something I can do-if it dont fix it then illl let them go to it

·
Registered
4,448 Posts
let us know if it was loose... i'm thinking i have the same problem... i'm probably overdue for the valves... heh.

·
Registered
754 Posts
I have heard that some have piston slap. When you first start it, does it knock when you give it gas, even just a little? Then as it warms up quites down with the exception of some ticking sounds?

Get a mechanics stethascope and listen to your engine. It will amplify the noises so you can pin point where it is coming from.

·
Registered
2,464 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
OK here is what I got so far
Got the bike home and tore her apart today. The valves were loose-all of them were about .001 sloppy. Put them all back into spec-EX valves are all .008 and IN valves are all .004
I started her up for a listen and still here slight ticking that is louder than normal, but is much quieter than what it was so Ill see how it plays out

I have heard that some have piston slap. When you first start it, does it knock when you give it gas, even just a little? Then as it warms up quites down with the exception of some ticking sounds?

Loud ticking on start up, the ticking matched the RPM, more RPM the louder/faster the tick. Once the bike is warmed up it sounds just like it should

Get a mechanics stethascope and listen to your engine. It will amplify the noises so you can pin point where it is coming from.
Buddy at work has one, probably gonna try it

·
Registered
642 Posts
Is it coming from the top end of the motor or bottom end? Front? Back? A friend of mine had a wierd noise come out of his when cold and would get better as the bike warmed up, ended up having to do with the clutch. His noise was coming out of bottom right side.

·
Registered
2,464 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Is it coming from the top end of the motor or bottom end? Front? Back? A friend of mine had a wierd noise come out of his when cold and would get better as the bike warmed up, ended up having to do with the clutch. His noise was coming out of bottom right side.
ticking is louder on the right side-sounds more from the top. Since adjusting the valves its alot better-ill check tomorrow and see how it does

·
Registered
2,464 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
OK, after riding it I noticed the valves have not made a differance. Took it to two differant dealers today and they both told me the cam chain is loose and its nothing to worry about. They said that if it stays the way it is it will be fine and not to worry unless the noise doesnt go away or gets really loud, then the chain needs to be replaced, for now they said it will be little noisy but nothing to worry about, so hopefully this mystery is solved. They both told me to keep riding it and told me there is no reason not to take it on my trip next week-Deals gap and surrounding roads-1500-2000 miles round trip. So we will see what happens

·
Registered
19 Posts
Rather than starting a new thread I'm posting here since it's a nearly identical issue. I hear the ticking more from the right side (top?). The noise stops once the bike is warmed up but it occasionally comes back at random. If the bike is ridden relatively hard for 30mins (i.e. shift later in the rpm range, above average acceleration) it tends to come back as well. I don't mean fast (i.e. < 55mph), just hard.

I mentioned it to my dealer during the first scheduled maintenance (last summer) but the bike was warm so they didn't hear it and basically disregarded it. I went back yesterday since I was in the neighborhood and the bike was cold. They heard the ticking and the response was "engine job." I mentioned the idea of lifters/cam chains and they basically said it would require taking the engine apart and I'd be looking at over a grand if a partial rebuild was necessary. The bike is ~15 months old w/ < 3k miles and I expressed frustration that this wasn't looked at further when I mentioned it prior (and under warranty).
They told me to bring in back on Monday and be prepared to leave it - they will call Suzuki and see what they can do since I've done all my work/maintenance/etc. there. I’m considering a call into the regional office myself beforehand…
In the mean time, I posted an audio clip of the sound here: https://www.dropbox.com/s/qe0i9tesw7ked1h/Tick.m4a

The recording starts on the right hand side of the bike and I carry the phone over to the left, shortly after the noise goes away. It's not the loudest I’ve heard it tick (or the best recording) but I'm curious what everyone thinks....

Thanks

·
Registered
5 Posts
suzuki m50 2007: front piston is faulty and smaller than it should be.

i had the same ticking noise on my bike 2007 m50, with 23k. noise came from the front cyclinder, increased with rpm, it had nothing to do with valves. i opened the engine and saw scratches on piston skirt and the cylinder (front). no issues in the rear one. we measured the both pistons and the cylinders and found that front piston is significantly smaller than the front cylinder and the other piston. the clearance between the front cylinder and the front piston is much larger than the clearance in the rear cylinder. thus front piston is loose and keeps hitting the cylinder, making the noise and scratches. Now i decided to buy a new front piston, measurement is 82.976 or 83.00. where should i order this piston? any advice is appreciated.

thx..

Safak

·
Registered
32 Posts
Me to guys. Is this the sound you were hearing?

I to am having some noise at about 30500 miles on my 08 Suzuki Boulvard M50. here is a video of the noise its much louder in person and gets worse when on the road. And extremely loud past 30 MPH

1 - 20 of 21 Posts