Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all!!! I have been reading this forum now for hours trying to find the best answer for my problem. Here we go..... I bought my bike (2006 M50 with 7500mi.) two weeks ago, I got it of a older gentleman that took what seems to be very good care of it....not a scratch on it and runs like a top! Now that i have a couple weeks of riding into it (about 700 mi) i hear a knock of maybe a ticking noise from the engine. when its cold it is alot more noticeable...and it happens on a slight acceleration in any gear. after riding for maybe a half an hour it seems to drop by 50% but i can still notice it. any help/ideas would be greatly appreciated!!! thanks again!!!!

·
Registered
177 Posts
I'm not a mechanic, but you're probably noticing your valve noise. Our lifters aren't hydrolic so they need adjusted but there should be some tapping sound. If you can't hear anything they are probably too tight and that's bad news. Once the engine warms it should have a sewing machine type noise. What you're hearing is probably normal, but if you take it to a mechanic they will likely listen to it for free and let you know.

·
Super Moderator
12,831 Posts
I'm not a mechanic, but you're probably noticing your valve noise.
:plus1:
.......on all of that.

Find out when the valves were last adjusted.....if ever.
If it's never been done, GET 'R DONE.

How many miles on the oil......and what kind is it ??
Sometimes extra noise from the engine can mean it's time for an oil change.

But don't be overly concerned about it. One notices engine noises on a bike a lot more than a cage.
Just open the hood of your car when the engine is running !!! :shock:

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have a 2008 M50 with approx 12000klm on it. About 2 months ago It developed a knock on start up which would go away or reduce as the engine warmed up. I originally thought it was a timing problem as the engine on start up would idle at a lower revs than normal. I changed the plugs. Noise gone. Eng revs back to normal on start up . Obviously I had a dodgy plug. Hope this helps

·
Registered
23 Posts
From my limited experience with these, I think I have had exactly the same experience. Pretty sure the knocking sound you talk about is the valves as the noise reduces as the engine gets warm. Compared my old sports bikes (less the Duc. whose dry clutch sounded like someone had emptied a pot full of pennies in it) my M800 engine seems noisier. The clutch also rattles a bit on the M800 / M50's (I think). But the sewing machine noise the Alex refers to is a good comparison to make for when the engine is warm and running well. If it's any consolation I am continually finding noises that panic me with mine, and mine has done less miles than yours - it's cos we love our bikes so much!!The other thing to remember is that whatever you think you can hear rattling around when your riding cannot be heard by anyone else around you when you've got some decent pipes, or stock pipes with some holes drilled!In short - don't panic, your M50 is seems to be behaving perfectly normal.

·
Registered
551 Posts
Alex has it Bang on. These Jap motors are noisy. Most people describe as ticking not knocking. Sounds like a bunch of tiny type writers, or a sewing machine. I'm going to say your bike is normal, but like Easy said, make sure the valves have been adjusted. If they haven't, have them adjusted. If it's been done, have a suzuki dealer listen to it for peace of mine. I had the same concern when I bought my 50 3 years ago.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I had the same fears with mine after the first service. I noticed a ticking noise that wasn't there before. After taking it back to the dealer they explained that the slight ticking was normal. Many many miles later I took it to a non-Suzuki shop for a tire and they told me there shouldn't be any noise whatsoever. Another Suzuki shop affirmed that some noise is normal. My advice is any shop you take it to make sure they know at least something about your type of bike and a second opinion never hurts.

·
Registered
551 Posts
...I took it to a non-Suzuki shop for a tire and they told me there shouldn't be any noise whatsoever....
These guys definitely don't know what they're talking about. No noise would mean very tight valves.

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
I also took mine in to have the valves adjusted the year I bought it (bike was used). Mine has always sounded that way, before and after adjustment. You really hear it if you have a windshield.

·
Registered
288 Posts
I have just checked my M50 tappett clearances and they are all in spec maybe .0001 on loose side but thats ok and i do have a windscreen so it is alot noisier.

Keep your oil changes up to date too, its makes a big difference.

Tim

·
Registered
32 Posts
I to am having some noise at about 30500 miles on my 08 Suzuki Boulvard M50. here is a video of the noise its much louder in person and gets worse when on the road. And extremely loud past 30 MPH

·
Registered
12 Posts
Well, I've had the ticking noise forever. I've definitely noticed it more in colder temps, and now that i have a windshield. My Question to those that know... Should I get my Valves adjusted again?? It's been at least 20,000 miles.. yes, at least that long. I'm at 74801 (miles not kms). as of this morning... My Suzy Dealer ( which i mostly trust) says it could be Piston Slap. But I have no loss of power, and the ticking is only "Marginally" more than the normal sewing machine sound... So maybe it is just my ears playing tricks on me...

I honestly havent heard it since the temperatures have come down under 100 degrees. I only heard the noise when I was running 70-80 in the 110 degree Texas heat this summer... And yes I could here it.. All I can get it to do now outside of the normal noises is if I Really get on it, I can sometimes here the lifters clattering. but that's a different sound than this small slightly different ticking noise...

The shop guy (at the dealer of course) said I might oughtta start looking at a new motor or new bike... I dont want to do that, cuz I really like the size, weight, performance, NO_PAYMENTS, and 51 MPG's I get out of my M-50... Any ideas??

Attachments

·
Registered
2,015 Posts
If the sound is coming from the rear check your final gear oil. it takes 200-220ml of SAE 90 hypoid

gear oil with GL-5 under API classification.On the left side of the hub is the fill port on top. Take it off and look.If you can't see it it is low.

Below that is the drain plug take it off and see how much drains out and what it looks like.Get the oil before you do this so you can refill it.

Replace the drain plug and refill thru the top hole till it leaks out of the top then replace the bolt. If you have never checked it it needs replaced anyway.

Ride the bike a short distance before you do this to get the oil warm so it will drain better. The other thing to check on the rear is a bit more work. You have to remove

the rear wheel to check the splines and the lubrication on them.This requires a poly 60 lube that you can get at a honda shop. There are probably other places you

can get but I use the honda stuff so I know they have it. Good luck:cool:

·
Registered
18 Posts
Prlsnpsdodge congrats on the miles, I have 60,000 miles on mine and it rattles like it wants to fly apart at all times at all speeds. These bikes are just noisy. Also mine smokes either gas or oil at all times since it was nearly new and the dealers said theres nothin wrong. This is a pretty robust bike as far as engine life. The other parts... I don't know...

Well, I've had the ticking noise forever. I've definitely noticed it more in colder temps, and now that i have a windshield. My Question to those that know... Should I get my Valves adjusted again?? It's been at least 20,000 miles.. yes, at least that long. I'm at 74801 (miles not kms). as of this morning... My Suzy Dealer ( which i mostly trust) says it could be Piston Slap. But I have no loss of power, and the ticking is only "Marginally" more than the normal sewing machine sound... So maybe it is just my ears playing tricks on me...

I honestly havent heard it since the temperatures have come down under 100 degrees. I only heard the noise when I was running 70-80 in the 110 degree Texas heat this summer... And yes I could here it.. All I can get it to do now outside of the normal noises is if I Really get on it, I can sometimes here the lifters clattering. but that's a different sound than this small slightly different ticking noise...

The shop guy (at the dealer of course) said I might oughtta start looking at a new motor or new bike... I dont want to do that, cuz I really like the size, weight, performance, NO_PAYMENTS, and 51 MPG's I get out of my M-50... Any ideas??

·
Super Moderator
12,831 Posts
Also mine smokes either gas or oil at all times since it was nearly new and the dealers said theres nothin wrong.
Good input.

This part, however, is BS and you should NOT have let them get away with brushing you off like that.
It's a bit late now but NO new bike should ever put out visible smoke.......except for a little water vapor when cold.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I to am having some noise at about 30500 miles on my 08 Suzuki Boulvard M50. here is a video of the noise its much louder in person and gets worse when on the road. And extremely loud past 30 MPH

Hi, M50 Renegade here, so i just heard that ticking sound and man its loud!!! Ur engine is almost done due to lack of oil changes...remeber the more u use ur bike the more frequently you have to change the oil and adjust the valves.

·
Registered
3 Posts

What was your engine problem? Did you discover a solution? I have the same engine noise on my 2007 M50.

·
Registered
6,917 Posts
I would say that is the cam chain and on these bikes the cam chain tensioner is often the problem.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts