Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so i change the oil on this new to me katana. an its recommended 4.3 quarts in now about 6.. its definitely eating oil. I'm not getting any funny smoke out of the exhaust and its running fine.. no leaks on the bike or ground.. is it possible it wasn't broke in properly an I'm still kind of breaking it in or should i just go ahead an replace the rings ?

·
Registered
6,968 Posts
I am not too sure what you are saying....did you put 6 quarts in it. There should be a stamped number near the filler hole that states the amount of oil needed. It will almost certainly be in Litres or ML. According to the conversion chart you have put over 5 litres of oil in the engine. If you mean you had to top the engine up a further 1.7 quarts then the oil is going somewhere. An engine, even one breaking in would not use that amount so you either have a leak or its overfilled. Burning that amount would show up as blue smoke out the exhaust and oily residue on the tip of the muffler. Also a plug inspection would show evidence of oil being nurned. Park the bike on a clean sheet of white paper overnight....although that amount of oil leak would be pretty apparent.

The bike has very low mileage so its either been clocked or has serious wear if the figures of oil consumption are correct...and that kind of wear or damage would make the bike run very poorly imo.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I am not too sure what you are saying....did you put 6 quarts in it. There should be a stamped number near the filler hole that states the amount of oil needed. It will almost certainly be in Litres or ML. According to the conversion chart you have put over 5 litres of oil in the engine. If you mean you had to top the engine up a further 1.7 quarts then the oil is going somewhere. An engine, even one breaking in would not use that amount so you either have a leak or its overfilled. Burning that amount would show up as blue smoke out the exhaust and oily residue on the tip of the muffler. Also a plug inspection would show evidence of oil being nurned. Park the bike on a clean sheet of white paper overnight....although that amount of oil leak would be pretty apparent.

The bike has very low mileage so its either been clocked or has serious wear if the figures of oil consumption are correct...and that kind of wear or damage would make the bike run very poorly imo.
the only thing i havent checked is the plugs.. but its pretty apperent its burning oil.. just not enough to blow smoke. im just going to go ahead an change the piston rings

·
Super Moderator
13,035 Posts
the only thing i havent checked is the plugs.. but its pretty apperent its burning oil.. just not enough to blow smoke. im just going to go ahead an change the piston rings
Based only upon what you are saying here, it is pretty apparent to me that you don't KNOW what is going on.

Before you run off and do something stupid, you should at least do a compression and leak down test.

And is there a reason that you aren't answering Steve's points directly ??

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Based only upon what you are saying here, it is pretty apparent to me that you don't KNOW what is going on.

Before you run off and do something stupid, you should at least do a compression and leak down test.

And is there a reason that you aren't answering Steve's points directly ??
Answer his point directly... what point exactly needs answering? There is no question that's its burning oil..just very little . Changing the rings isn't a hard procedure. . No there is oil left behind on the ground.. what peice of common sense are you implying I'm missing here...

·
Super Moderator
13,035 Posts
what peice of common sense are you implying I'm missing here...
TESTING before you tear the engine apart.
But it seems like your mind is already made up so......I wish you good luck with your guess.
Please let us know how it turns out.

·
Registered
6,968 Posts
My point is... to use 1.7 quarts of oil would blow blue smoke....no doubt about it.

·
Registered
6,968 Posts
Im sure there would be signs of the loss on various engine parts...ah well he wants to rip it apart so good luck to him.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts