Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Oh wise ones,
When pushing starter all the lights dim down and the starter does not engage. Sometimes after pushing about 5 or 6 times, the starter engages. I thought it was the battery and changed that out but even with new battery is doing the same thing. It must be a connection somewhere. But battery connections are very clean. In the starter switch???
Thank you for your thoughts.

·
Super Moderator
13,706 Posts
Is your new battery fully charged ?

This sounds like it could be worn out brushes on the starter.
Do the lights go OUT or just get dim ?
Some models purposely turn the lights OFF while starting and some don't.

If they just dim down, then it's likely that the starter is getting power and trying to turn .......but can't for some reason.

·
Registered
14 Posts
While i dont have my vs1400 any longer, at one point i had a similar problem. Check and clean the negative battery cable and the surface it gets bolted to where it connects to the engine, it can get cruddy and cause issues just like corroded battery terminals. If I remember correctly it should be on the right side of the bike near at the back of the engine.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks E and W, the battery was load tested and good. Terminals are very clean, but will check where it bolts to engine. The lights dim way down when starter pushed, they do not switch off. My brother said get a reading on amps coming out of battery when starter pushed, if real high amp above normal then the starter is the culprit. Any idea of how many amps the starter should draw when pushing the start button?
Thank you.

·
Super Moderator
13,706 Posts
Any idea of how many amps the starter should draw when pushing the start button?
Thank you.
Not exactly but it is REAL HIGH in normal operation. That's why the cables are so thick.
The starter really is the most likely culprit here.
Is it exposed so that you could whack it with a screwdriver handle while pushing START ?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks E and W, the battery was load tested and good. Terminals are very clean, but will check where it bolts to engine. The lights dim way down when starter pushed, they do not switch off. My brother said get a reading on amps coming out of battery when starter pushed, if real high amp above normal then the starter is the culprit. Any idea of how many amps the starter should draw when pushing the start button?
Thank you.
Update on starting problem.
I took the battery to a shop, tested with load and they said it was good.
I banged on the starter when trying to start but no movement when trying to start.
I wire brushed where the negative lead meets the chassis, all clean.
I watched a you tube video on a starter problem. The guy could not start the cycle, so he said before thinking it is the starter, check the starter relay. I bypassed the starter relay by holding a screw driver across the terminals and sure enough the cycle started, so the starter motor is good. I then ordered a new relay, put that in and that did not solve the problem!! When pushing the starter switch, the lights all dim down to nothing and the starter motor does not engage. SO, now I think maybe I have a short in the starter switch itself. Does that sound feasible?

·
Super Moderator
13,706 Posts
. SO, now I think maybe I have a short in the starter switch itself. Does that sound feasible?
More testing is required.
Disconnect the small "trigger" wire from the starter solenoid and see what happens with it off when you push the start button. There is at least one relay between the button and the solenoid, maybe two. It is also possible that the small input wire is pinched or rubbed against something HOT and is shorted to the frame.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Easy Rider and Werky,
Thank you for all your ideas. The problem has finally been solved (I wasn't pushing to hard to get this fixed because of all the snow in VA!) Anyway, my brother who is good with electronics helped me figure it out. He poured over the electric diagram. We thought it was the compression release control unit, but that was not it. We then decided to test the last switch in the diagram and that was the clutch lever start switch - we used a jumper wire and by-passed the switch and the cycle started!!!! Now, I have just ordered a new switch for $20 and I'll be back on the VA roads by early March. I am elated that this in now complete.
Keep answering our questions, I really appreciate this forum and your advice.

·
Super Moderator
13,706 Posts
Keep answering our questions, I really appreciate this forum and your advice.
Glad you have it solved.
But that fix is NOT consistent with the lights dimming when you push the start button......IF you are talking about all of the lights, dashboard also.
The headlights are designed to go off or way down while starting; the other lights should not.

Have you put different grips or grip covers on recently ?
Sometimes the clutch switch is good but the lever isn't being pulled far enough.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts