Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Oh wise ones,
When pushing starter all the lights dim down and the starter does not engage. Sometimes after pushing about 5 or 6 times, the starter engages. I thought it was the battery and changed that out but even with new battery is doing the same thing. It must be a connection somewhere. But battery connections are very clean. In the starter switch???
Thank you for your thoughts.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks E and W, the battery was load tested and good. Terminals are very clean, but will check where it bolts to engine. The lights dim way down when starter pushed, they do not switch off. My brother said get a reading on amps coming out of battery when starter pushed, if real high amp above normal then the starter is the culprit. Any idea of how many amps the starter should draw when pushing the start button?
Thank you.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks E and W, the battery was load tested and good. Terminals are very clean, but will check where it bolts to engine. The lights dim way down when starter pushed, they do not switch off. My brother said get a reading on amps coming out of battery when starter pushed, if real high amp above normal then the starter is the culprit. Any idea of how many amps the starter should draw when pushing the start button?
Thank you.
Update on starting problem.
I took the battery to a shop, tested with load and they said it was good.
I banged on the starter when trying to start but no movement when trying to start.
I wire brushed where the negative lead meets the chassis, all clean.
I watched a you tube video on a starter problem. The guy could not start the cycle, so he said before thinking it is the starter, check the starter relay. I bypassed the starter relay by holding a screw driver across the terminals and sure enough the cycle started, so the starter motor is good. I then ordered a new relay, put that in and that did not solve the problem!! When pushing the starter switch, the lights all dim down to nothing and the starter motor does not engage. SO, now I think maybe I have a short in the starter switch itself. Does that sound feasible?
Thank you for your thoughts.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts