Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello:
I am new to biking, just completed MSF course and got my M1. For a starter bike I have narrowed down to the 2 bikes which are currently available in my town. Both have very low miles (Shadow has 1600mi; V-Star 800 mi). Shadow owner asking $5200 but I should be able to get it for $4500. V-Star asking $4500 and I should be able to get it for $4000. Test rode both and they are in exc condition. Which one would you recommend?

·
Registered
5,197 Posts
Both are good bikes, but if you do not have a preference in the styling I'd go with the Shadow. Excellent first bike, mild mannered and easy to ride. Excellent handling too. It is famous for reliability, and it has more power and is physically a bit bigger than the V-Star, so it will take longer for you to outgrow it and become bored.

·
Registered
5,197 Posts
Yeah, you have to remove the exhaust to change the oil filter on a V-Star 650, so there is an extra labor charge if you pay someone to change the oil. An aftermarket oil filter relocation kit solves this, though personally I don't think it is worth the $270 for the kit if you do your own service, as you can pull the exhaust head pipe in the time it takes for the oil to fully drain. So an extra few minutes every 3000 miles is no big deal, especially as most people get bored with this diminutive model in a year or two, so they are only going to do one or two oil changes before trading it on something larger anyways.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for your suggestions folks! I will narrow down my choice to Shadow. One more question.....for a 2008 bike with < 2000 mi (w/ floor boards, saddle bags, windshield, light bar) what is a reasonable price? NADA (VT750C2F8) $3720-4895. KBB $4655 (excl cond). Mainly want to know where to set upper limit.

·
Registered
5,197 Posts
You've already found the book value- NADA reflects the price actually paid for this bike from a dealership, so it is dead on if you are buying from a dealership. If this is a private sale, then the bike is worth 15-20% less, as you give up the safety net of having a dealership that has inspected the bike before selling it or for you to seek regress against should there be a problem.

Don't be afraid to walk away. There are TONS of used bikes on the market right now, so don't pay more than you are comfortable with for the first one you find, and don't limit yourself to just searching in your town. Cycle Trader, Craigslist, Ebay classifieds, and the local paper are good places to look. I'll travel 200+ miles one way to get a good deal on a used bike in a private sale, though my limit for travel to a dealership is more like 30 minutes.

·
Registered
18 Posts
just from my experience, you'd be surprised at how quickly you'll out grow a small displacement bike and the shadow is definitely at the smaller end of the bikes.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2

·
Registered
33 Posts
My first bike was a shadow vlx 600. I laid that bike down 3 times the first night I had it trying to learn how to ride. Had never been on a bike or taken an safety course. She started back up every time. Bike was bulletproof.

·
Registered
5,197 Posts
He's looking at a shadow 750, not the 600 VLX. Totally different bike, a mid-sized one that only gives up 6% displacement to the M50 and is considered a direct competitor to that Suzuki model, though it is lighter with less power, making it a better choice for a beginner but a less desirable bike for an experienced rider. Lots of people ride the Honda 750s for many years, though drivers who are taller or heavier often find it to be cramped and want to move up fairly quickly. Bulletproof engine, shaft drive, low seat height, big enough to feel like a full sized bike but tame enough so a beginner does not get overwhelmed- a good choice for a first or second bike.

·
Registered
18 Posts
just letting the op know that if he's any where close to 6 foot he's gonna feel cramped very fast.the shadow feels a lot smaller than the m50. I've rode both so i'm speaking from experience. i own an m50 now and am six foot and out feels very cramped.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2

1 - 11 of 11 Posts