Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is my first post. I bought my first motorcycle about 2-3 weeks ago. A 2009 GS500 with 3600 miles on it. The bike was about 160 miles away. Rather than put it on a trailer I decided to ride it home. It rode great. No problems no complaints. I then went away for a few days and let it sit. Upon coming back i had some trouble starting it up, which i assumed was just because it was cold. So i messed with the choke and had it going. A few days later, upon trying to start it again, I had a lot of trouble. It was idling very low and stalling. I did some research and figured that the idle was just set to low and I went to adjust the idle with the bike cold and not running (I know stupid). Now the bike turns over and will start for a second and die. I must have adjusted it way to much and now I dont know what to do. I tried to turn it until I hit a resistance point but found none. Will it unscrew or is it one that will keep turning? Any advice?

·
Super Moderator
12,836 Posts
I did some research and figured that the idle was just set to low and I went to adjust the idle with the bike cold and not running (I know stupid).
I think your initial conclusion was wrong......and your method to correct it was certainly wrong.

IF.....you actually had the idle speed screw, it goes clockwise to increase the idle speed and indeed should come to a point where you can't adjust it any farther......assuming that it is not stripped.
We should have someone here who knows for sure about that idle speed screw; I really don't for that model.

Based on litterally hunderds of previous reports that were amost identical I suggest:
You need FULL ON choke to start it....and will need partial choke to keep it from dying until it warms up.
You probably have either some bad gas or some "gunk" in the carbs.
Did you fill up upon arriving home ?
If not, it could just be OUT OF GAS.
Did you try the REServe setting on the fuel valve petcock ?? :shock:

Now you will probably need the battery charged because it needs a healthy charge to fire the plugs.

If it is not out of gas, draining the float bowls and adding some carb cleaner to the gas might get you going again.
You might need some starting fluid to get it going the first time and the cleaner will take a while to do it's thing......after you run it a bit to get the cleaner down into the bowl and jets. I like Berrymans B12 Chemtool.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I think the screw is definitely stripped. My plan was to tighten it to the lock point and then slowly loosen it to 1200 rpm or so. I guess i need a new idle screw? I'll replace that and do the other things you suggested

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Just took the Idle screw and spring out to see if it was stripped....doesnt look like it. But the problem now is I cant get it back in! Should I be having trouble getting it back in?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts