Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 09 Boulevard m50 that hasn't been rode much in the past few years. Long story short, it was my dad's and after he passed away I would run it every so often. Obviously not often enough. Bike only has 9k miles on it.
I've been reluctant to sell the thing cause it's actually a nice bike and I enjoy riding it every so often. Well my mother could really use the extra money so I decided to put it up for sale. As fate has it when I went to start it, it run for maybe 2 seconds and died. I tried to start it again and nothing. It turns over but that's it. When I turn it on I hear the pump run for about 2-3 seconds and stop which is normal. At least I thought it was the pump running. So I sprayed some starting fluid in the intake and it ran for a second to tell me its getting fire. So back to checking my fuel again. Emptied my tank, filled it was 100% fresh gas tried to run it enough to get the old fuel burned out but still nothing. So off comes the gas tank and out comes the fuel pump for further inspection. Plugged the wires back in and noticed the hum I hear when I turn the key is not my pump but a sound coming from around my speedometer. So I unplugged the connector at the pump and try jumping it straight from the battery and it does nothing. Am I doing something wrong here or is my fuel pump definitely bad? I've got this bike in pieces here checking everything from TO sensor to CKP sensor. Would love to get this thing running so I can sell it but don't want to spend money unless I know that's what the problem is. Sorry for the long post/question. Soooo, thanks ahead of time for any input.

·
Registered
6,753 Posts
Since the pump does nothing from a direct battery connection it looks like its toast. I woud try a wreckers for a replacement or maybe get an aftermarket one if possible. The Suzuki one will be expensive. Before you do any of this though I would re-install the pump and check it again....you never know it may need a particular sensor input before it will run. Make sure all connections are clean and tight and the battery is fully charged and good....a load test may be in order...free from most auto outlets. Finally pull the plugs to see if they are dry....make sure all the fuel hoses are good and not crimped...while the pump if off a reverse flush with clean gas may help....if the filters are dirty and clogged.

Good luck

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the advice. The battery is fully charged. I've had it on a trickle charger and its only about months old. The assembly for this thing is outrageously expensive. $500 - $650. Has anybody had any luck on changing just the pump. I know Suzuki advises not to but I see them going for as low as $20. That's quite a savings. Just a matter of finding the right one. Most of them come with a few accessories also....screen filter, etc.

·
Registered
8 Posts
If you put power to the pump and got no operation then it is dead. Replacing just the pump is easy, you can get one off of ebay. But,as a tech of 21 years I have found that aftermarket pumps will often fail unless you get a good name brand pump. Just my 2 cents.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I have an '09 M90, 40K miles with no issues. It seems odd that a pump would go out so soon, I don't think long periods parked would cause it to have a problem. But it sounds like that's what it is. Me personally, I would gamble the $20 or so first. Odds are pretty good that fixes it. Any pump should work, as long as it's a high enough pressure for the fuel injection.

·
Super Moderator
12,163 Posts
Any pump should work, as long as it's a high enough pressure for the fuel injection.
BAD advice.....if it really does have fuel injection the pressure is kind of critical.
The fuel pressure is an important factor in how much fuel goes through the injector each time it "fires".

·
Registered
6,753 Posts
Not only that but there will be a fuel pressure regulator that needs a certain pressure or a fault code will be thrown. A good quality pump at a reasonable price should be available....I know Bosch aftermarket Hayabusa pumps could be had for half the cost for the oem ones.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have 92 Intruder 1400, my first NEW bike(and yes I still have not on rode at present) at about 20/25+k miles, my bike would not start. The problem ending up being a BAD FUEL PUMP RELAY. Also kind of basic question, you stated that you applied power to the fuel pump, was the fuel pump properly GROUNDED? And the only other major problem I had a little later after the relay failed was the ECM want DEAD replace same with after market high performance module.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts