Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
My Dad's bike is not turning over, he thinks it might be the starter. Is removing the starter very involved? Do I have to remove any major components? It's a 2009 with relatively low miles. Could it be anything else? It has a new battery, not sure exactly what its doing or not doing. I can't find anything on Youtube about removing starter.

·
Registered
6,932 Posts
You do have the kill switch switched on/off yeah? Also check the starter safety cut outs are working. The clutch one can be disconnected and a jump between the connector to isolate it....same for the side stand one. Make sure the bike is in neutral...although with many Suzukis if the clutch is pulled in then it will start. Check the connection at the starter solonoid and also the battery terminals. Try tapping the solonoid/starter motor to see if its sticky... use a heavy handle such as a hammer to get a good solid hit.....dont hit too hard though. Finaly getting to the starter motor...cant help there but a specific forum may be the way to go.

Good luck

·
Super Moderator
12,898 Posts
It has a new battery, not sure exactly what its doing or not doing. I can't find anything on Youtube about removing starter.
Wild guesses usually end up costing you time and money without fixing anything.
You (or he) really need to find out "what it's doing or not doing" before deciding what to do next.
A multimeter to trace voltages is a really good thing to have.

Are you SURE that the new battery is fully charged ?
Sometimes they aren't. Ones obtained by "mail order" almost never are.

Some Zuki models require BOTH the clutch pulled in AND the transmission in N to start the first time after the ignition is turned ON. It can be REALLY embarrassing if you forget that.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi,
My Dad's bike is not turning over, he thinks it might be the starter. Is removing the starter very involved? Do I have to remove any major components? It's a 2009 with relatively low miles. Could it be anything else? It has a new battery, not sure exactly what its doing or not doing. I can't find anything on Youtube about removing starter.
Hi. How long ago did he use the bike? The battery may be dead. Try putting it on charge and once full reconnect it.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts