Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello gang, recently started having problems with the charging system on my 1300. Battery will top off but after about 15-20 miles it is drained. Have tested the battery pre- start and shows 12.8 volts. After start meter shows 11.6. Have replaced the rectifier(which had corrosion and a broken spade. I guess the stator is bad? I am about a 6 on scale of 1-10 mechanic skills, is the stator replacement something I should be able to do with a minium of specialty tools? Or is there something else that I need to check first? Thanks for the input!

·
Super Moderator
13,153 Posts
The stator can be tested fairly easily.......once you find the connector where the wires come out of it.
Sometimes the connector gets loose and then burns up.

Most recent models have the rectifier and regulator in one unit.
If yours is like that, then the stator is about all that is left.

Do some searching on here for stator tests......and other forums too maybe.
If you can't find anything, ask again.......after you find the connector.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The stator can be tested fairly easily.......once you find the connector where the wires come out of it.
Sometimes the connector gets loose and then burns up.

Most recent models have the rectifier and regulator in one unit.
If yours is like that, then the stator is about all that is left.

Do some searching on here for stator tests......and other forums too maybe.
If you can't find anything, ask again.......after you find the connector.
Will do and thanks

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Found connector everything is working correctly on stator and rectifier. Now engine light and error code 46 show on instrument display; replaced the starter relay several months ago, wondering if this could be the problem now?

·
Super Moderator
13,153 Posts
; replaced the starter relay several months ago, wondering if this could be the problem now?
NO. The starter solenoid (relay) has nothing to do with the charging voltage
It is pretty much impossible for "everything to be working correctly on the stator and rectifier" and still have a running voltage below 12. Well, unless maybe the starter is stuck ON and running all the time. But that should be pretty obvious.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Sorry, must not have clearly stated the new problem. Stator is working correctly, as is rectifier, have 12.6 volts to battery terminals when bike is idling. Now, engine check light comes on and instrument display shows an error code of 46. Found info on another site that the error code is "46 - Error pokazateey voltage on the ignition module;".

·
Super Moderator
13,153 Posts
Stator is working correctly, as is rectifier, have 12.6 volts to battery terminals when bike is idling.
12.6 is the raw battery voltage and does NOT indicate that any charging is taking place.
You likely also have 12.6 at the battery terminals when the bike of OFF.

What is the voltage with the engine speed slightly above idle.....maybe 2500-3000 RPM ??

No offense intended but your comments so far indicate that you don't understand the electrical system good enough to be trying to fix it yourself. A shop visit is highly recommended.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Don;t have tach but at what I estimate to be around 3-5000 rpm voltage is 13.8. After testing the stator and rectifier, I took the bike for a spin. After 1/2 mile, the engine light came on and an error code "46" came on the display. I think we are losing continuity in our conversation but a trip to the Dr. is probably what I will have to resort to. Only problem is Dr. is 70 miles away.

·
Super Moderator
13,153 Posts
After 1/2 mile, the engine light came on and an error code "46" came on the display.
What was the battery voltage, running and not, after that error came up ?

So far, your voltage readings might just indicate that your idle speed is a bit low.
Or that you have a loose connection at one end of a main battery cable.

Have you tried manually charging the battery up......to see if it will then run without an error for a longer time ??

1 - 10 of 10 Posts