Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
5,197 Posts
Very nice! Kind of an expensive bike to learn on though...hopefully he won't drop it. And hopefully he will actually enjoy riding and be good at it, or it will be a real expensive mistake...

·
Registered
493 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah I gave him my advice, to buy something used cheap and smaller. There was no convincing him, lol. He just picked it up today and had his uncle ride it to his place. I stopped out after work and made sure I taught him what I could in a parking lot. I really wish he would have taken the msf basic rider course first....but to each there own.

·
Registered
5,197 Posts
Well, I guess you only live once...

...but I just picked up a really low miles 2007 Harley XL1200 Custom from a woman who bought it, took the MSF course, and decided riding was just not for her because she'd rather be on the back and daydream/ look around. A guy at work is trying to sell me his 2003 Road King, which has less than 100 miles on it because he also bought it before taking the MSF course, and when he did take the course he failed because he just does not have the 'right stuff' to ride. But he has an inflated opinion of its worth LOL!

But on the other hand, I know lots of folks who bought a brand new bike right off, and did just fine. So who knows- I wish him the best.

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
I took the MSF course last year with about 20 people. Half were very young (in their early 20's and more girls than guys) and the other half were 50 somethings. I was the only person inbetween those groups! During the 3 day course 5 of the 50 somethings and 1 of the 20 somethings left or flunked out and every single one of them had already bought their Harley. One of them told me that he knows how to ride and don't care if he has a license or not. Kind of scary.

·
Registered
493 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
TNM50.....yep same for Indiana with MSF course. Its still in one piece too! I dont think people realize once you buy the high end model 1st there's nothing to look forward too in the future as far as dreaming about your replacement bike.

Ducati Monster for me! Maybe in a few more years! Then when I get old I'll probably jump ship to a BMW.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I bought my bike brand new before taking the MSF course. Got bit by a motorcycle bug, I guess. The first Sunday after MSF course I took the bike to the empty parking lot to practice, I thought to myself that I had made a big mistake: the bike was too big and heavy for me and riding on the street was really scary. (I'm only 5'4" and 135 pounds). The next six months I practiced and practiced and started getting to know the bike better and enjoy the rides more. It was almost four years ago and I never regret it. I hope your friend will be the same.

·
Registered
2,627 Posts
Well, you get rid of the buckhorns and the King and Queen seat, updated exhaust, and yeah..you have ...almost essentially an FXDX.
Well a few changes have always been the norm with a Harley going back to before any of us were even born lol.
A bone stock 1980 WG would be rare to find,most got modded right out of the box if not soon after like any H-D.
Bars,seats,exhaust are usually the first to go.;)

Just ask Jack.:mrgreen:

Even the ladies were into it way way back.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I took the MSF course last year with about 20 people. Half were very young (in their early 20's and more girls than guys) and the other half were 50 somethings. I was the only person inbetween those groups! During the 3 day course 5 of the 50 somethings and 1 of the 20 somethings left or flunked out and every single one of them had already bought their Harley. One of them told me that he knows how to ride and don't care if he has a license or not. Kind of scary.
Yeah, I had a few people in my class flunk too. One woman did the same thing as the guy you mentioned, she had already purchased her harley, flunked and went right out and crashed. She broke her collar bone. She was horrible in class, not even close to being able to ride.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Knipdm01,

There has definitely been a lot of good review for the Wide Glide. Although it is expensive, its durability lives up to the price. It certainly is cheaper than going through bike after bike! But for those on a tighter budget, don't write off the Wide Glide quite yet. You can get a basic model and then add on Dyna parts to enhance the features you are most looking for.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts