Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New here. Also new to my brand new 2019 vstar 250. Almost broke in. Sitting at 910miles. Problem with bike is that it sat for a bit. Previous owner just started it once in awhile, also took it to dealer and had the carb "cleaned" out. Saw the receipt and the work was done. But when I put it under load, It will die unless your ready and bring the RPMs up. It rides fine other than. Low RPM load. Also noticed a bit of white smoke expels from exhaust even at idle. Any help this way would be helpful.

·
Registered
6,997 Posts
Probably the idle circuits are clogged.....very hard to clean. Try some good quality carb cleaner....gumout is the favourite I believe. Get it into the carb by running the engine as best as you can and leave it overnight at least.

Also check the fuel tank filter isnt clogged and any dirt in the tank needs clearing out or it will clog again...same with the float bowl...usually a small bolt on the base...remove and drain into a suitable container. may want to check the tank vent is working too....when it dies pop the tank cap....any improvement or a rush of air indicates a blockage. Obviously this will have to be the first thing to try as if it is then you know where to look.

Good luck

·
Registered
9 Posts
New here. Also new to my brand new 2019 vstar 250. Almost broke in. Sitting at 910miles. Problem with bike is that it sat for a bit. Previous owner just started it once in awhile, also took it to dealer and had the carb "cleaned" out. Saw the receipt and the work was done. But when I put it under load, It will die unless your ready and bring the RPMs up. It rides fine other than. Low RPM load. Also noticed a bit of white smoke expels from exhaust even at idle. Any help this way would be helpful.
When you say it dies under load unless you bring the rpms up, that sounds like normal throttle-clutch manipulation to me. Is this your first bike? Also white smoke could just be water in the exhaust. Does it go away after a while?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
When you say it dies under load unless you bring the rpms up, that sounds like normal throttle-clutch manipulation to me. Is this your first bike? Also white smoke could just be water in the exhaust. Does it go away after a while?
Definitely not my first bike. White smoke remains even after warmed up

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Probably the idle circuits are clogged.....very hard to clean. Try some good quality carb cleaner....gumout is the favourite I believe. Get it into the carb by running the engine as best as you can and leave it overnight at least.

Also check the fuel tank filter isnt clogged and any dirt in the tank needs clearing out or it will clog again...same with the float bowl...usually a small bolt on the base...remove and drain into a suitable container. may want to check the tank vent is working too....when it dies pop the tank cap....any improvement or a rush of air indicates a blockage. Obviously this will have to be the first thing to try as if it is then you know where to look.

Good luck
Hi Aussie Steve. I have ran some gumout thru the bike. Im still running it thru and I still have white smoke coming out of exhaust. Definitely smells rich.But I forgot to mention that I live at 8,000'. And ride upto 9,100'. Im sure that has to affect the carburetor. What are your thoughts. Thanks

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the input. I am not going to ride it until I fix the problem. Going to clean the carb bowl, the seats and jets. Take a look at my fuel filter in gas tank. Im really hoping it isn't the diaphragm assembly. I had a shadow 600 that had very similar problems and it ended up being a tear in the diaphragm assembly plunger.
Elevation won't cause that.
You probably are dumping excess fuel into the OIL too.
Much more riding without fixing might result in a melt down.

·
Super Moderator
13,232 Posts
I had a shadow 600 that had very similar problems and it ended up being a tear in the diaphragm assembly plunger.
IF this model has an automatic shut-off fuel petcock, a leak in THAT diaphragm can cause fuel leakage into the intake too.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts