Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have pretty cheap 3/4 helmet. Not so heavy, nice looking and with tinted visor. Everything looks good except one small tiny problem.

This small problem is NOISE. My ****g helmet is EXTREMELY noisy. Even at speed 60+ km/h whistling sound make me crazy.

So I definitely need replacement. I did some web research of 3/4 helmet reviews, but steel do not clear understand which of them is a quietest.

Candidates to "brain & hair protection" was:

HJS(IS33)
BELL(Mag8 )
SCORPION(EXO200)
SHOEI(J-wind)
SHARK(RSJ)
ARAI(SZ-M).

I will very appreciate if someone who has experience with above helmets help me to choose the quietest one.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I've used plugs when in highway. But in country/rural road or city/local area I want to hear something, at least noise of car or motorcycle following me.

·
Registered
910 Posts
I've used plugs when in highway. But in country/rural road or city/local area I want to hear something, at least noise of car or motorcycle following me.
Anything over a 5 minute ride requires ear protection in my world. I want to protect whatever hearing I have. Even around town at lower speeds I can hear better with plugs. There are no extreme highs and lows to overwhelm my ears and there is also the benefit of a lot less noise fatigue and stress.
The speakers in my helmet are easier to hear and enjoy when I remember to take the Cardo FM radio.
webBikeWorld has very good evaluations on helmet pros and cons. They do pay much attention to noise and always stress hearing protection no matter how quiet a helmet is.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I get the light ear plugs that don't cut all the sounds out. I can hear everything but quieter. I think they are for sleeping

·
Registered
4,448 Posts
Get a full face and spend some $$.

·
Super Moderator
12,794 Posts
Get a full face and spend some $$.
That's not a guaranteed fix either.

Wind hitting a poorly designed helmet will create noise......no matter what style it is.

A properly sized and mounted windshield can do wonders........but that's a whole different subject.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
A properly sized and mounted windshield can do wonders........but that's a whole different subject.
I got motorcycle with windshield. First ride with speed over 90 km/h gave me massive headache due to buffeting.

You can not even imagine how many time I spend trying decrease buffeting. I made new special bracket to provide maximum possible adjustment of the windshield. So it was possible lower it ~4" or lift up to ~6" as well as tilt it from vertical position to 30 deg. backward.

Unfortunately I did not find position which noticeable suppress buffeting. I quit this game and decide use "naked" bike.

·
Super Moderator
12,794 Posts
Unfortunately I did not find position which noticeable suppress buffeting. I quit this game and decide use "naked" bike.
And it seems that is working out for you good too ????? :roll:

Buffeting with a windshield has been discussed here at considerable length and often the solution for that is lowers.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
And it seems that is working out for you good too ????? :roll:

Buffeting with a windshield has been discussed here at considerable length and often the solution for that is lowers.
All what I did with windshield was done base on those discussions.

Even with a lowest position and with maximum tilting windshield backward (top edge of windshield was about 4" lower than chin) buffeting become just a little bit less noticeable, not totally eliminated. I close this case.

I'm just looking for 3/4 good quiet helmet, without some "bugs" like whistling, "self flipping" visor ...

·
Registered
1 Posts
i have the IS33 and have a whistle sound in my right ear. the helmet was bought on then internet. when i emailed HJC they told me they do not do repairs and to send it back to the store i bought it from............they won't do anything......the HJC customer service sucks...................i have a windshield and lowers and almost no buffeting at all........................

·
Registered
418 Posts
The 3/4 helmet is an excellent choice since in the event of a crash you can only lose 1/4 of your face.:mrgreen:
:plus1: I have a helmet stored away at my parents with the vent on the mouth piece smashed in and gouges across the chin gaurd. The way I rode back then I was half way asking for it though.:twisted:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts