Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Taking out oil tank b/c I'm gonna rebuild / clean up / bob bike. Learning as I go. What's the little component bolted on the bottom of the oiltank?

Thanks all.

Sam

·
Registered
6,383 Posts
If you're adding a pic from your PC or phone try this:
Click 'Go Advanced'
scroll down and click 'Manage Attachments'
find the file name for the pic and upload it
submit reply

·
Registered
2,627 Posts
Post up a pick of the whole bike so we can see what you have there.

This is what your oil tank and system consists of.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks all.

Starter solonoid huh. Ok. Just trying to label everything as I take it apart. I'll attach a picture of the bike. Can't seem to get the pic bigger.

Baskerville.jpg

Attachments

·
Registered
2,627 Posts
I have an Ironhead service manual here somewhere, might take a while to find it and I'm not sure if it goes to '79 or not.
I think it's like '73-'78 but I'll see if I can find it.
I'd suggest you search eBay for a Harley factory service manual for your bike,it'll help you with a lot of things.
I about wore mine out back in the day when I rode Irons.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks Y2K, all,

Decided to not go the bobber route. I don't have the tech skills etc. (obviously). Will just keep the oil tank in as is.

Do have another question though, Bought the bike w/o the keys. How do I get a replacement. Can I just buy a new ignition?

Sam

·
Registered
2,627 Posts
Can I just buy a new ignition?

Sam
I'm sure you can and it should be pretty simple to swap out.
Probably will have to go aftermarket on a vintage bike like that but I'd check with an H-D dealer anyway

I would think if you have the numbers on the ignition, a Harley dealer could make you a key.:bluethum:
Maybe,bike is pretty old and the factory no longer supports bikes of that vintage but it would be worth a try.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts