Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was given a 79 Suzuki GS750E. It ran but not very well. Took carbs off to clean, noted the needle screws under the carbs (3 of the 4) were broken off inside the carbs. They are now garbage. I purchased used 750E carbs on ebay from a bike was claimed to have that worked but was parted out. I used a installed a (all 4 carbs) Suzuki carb rebuild kit, set all the needle screws the same number of turns as I found them. The idle worked well, rpm up to about 5k was ok then it bogged down, no power. I adjusted the screws (under the carbs) 1/2 turn out at a time, now about 1 turn out. The screws on the upper side of the carbs are set at 2-1/2 out as per the service manual. The manual states not to touch the needle screws under the carbs. Tough to do when rebuilding the carbs. The float levels are with .5mm of factory setting. Engine runs ok but not great. Any have any suggestions on setting the carbs up. Please help. Thanks.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Everything is back to stock on this bike including air box and filter, new air box to carb boots, carb to engine boots and all clamps. Just can't seem to get the carbs right. They are close. I could settle for close but I know it could run alot better.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Before you do anything drastic, put a set of stock air filters on it......assuming you haven't done that already.

Without them, it is probably running way lean at the upper end.
Everything is back to stock. Seems like carb #1 isnt responding. Idle screw doesnt seem to do anything. Going to take apart again and try cleaning #1 carb. Has to have a clog somewhere. Compression is within the other cyl ranges.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts