Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi
I have a 83 GS750. I got it free some years ago. Started fixing it up but it got put on the back burner. Since I retired I'm getting ready to continue.
It's the Maroon and brown one. I've loved them since I first saw one. This one I got for free. Pretty rough, tank bashed, starter switch not working etc. But I did hear it run and it sounded pretty good. Stock carbs, stock exhaust and stock airbox, which is where my first questions center. The current airbox is cracked in the middle. Basically it's in 2 pieces. Now I've been told that they are a nightmare to tune with pod filters but I was going to cut the old airbox out and use pods. I hear that to change the airbox I'd have to pull the motor. Which will open a big can of worms. I'm sure I'd be breaking off multiple exhaust bolts etc. So, give me your advice.

Mad

·
Registered
6,933 Posts
I had a 79 GS 750...airbox isnt too hard to remove from that model and I would suspect it wont be too hard to remove from yours....not too sure what the difference between a GS 750 and a GS750E is.

I would be checking out wreckers and/or looking at plastic welding the old one up using a plastic patch, a soldering iron to melt the plastic and some plastic filler rods made from the same stuff the patch is made from. It is fairly easy to do you just melt the plastic patch and the airbox till it welds together using the rods you made to fill in any gaps and to thicken the weld run.

Good luck

Ps practice on some old bits of poly plastic.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply. I think the 83 is significantly different than the 79. My airbox goes way back under the seat. I already have a replacement. And to plastic weld it I'd have to take it out anyway. The one that's in there
isn't just cracked, it's just about split in two.

Mad

·
Registered
6,933 Posts
Right mine just sat forward of the rear down tube. I would be looking at a used one anyway since getting the motor to run with pods will mean messing about with jet sizes/needle positions and often it cant be tuned to suit all throttle openings.

Good luck they are a great bike, loved mine...watched a Youtube about them as apposed to the Honda and it seemed Suzuki took everything that was good with the Honda and improved that which wasnt. One thing is if you do a valve clearance get hold of the bucket depressing tool....makes life so much easier....I still have mine I assume they wouldnt have change those.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts