Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have a 1983 Suzuki GS850GL and lately I have been having some issues. It started out with the bike not being able to go past 75 MPH. Turned out to be the boots from the air box were restricting airflow to the carbs, so i cut out the flaps that are in the air box and the bike now goes over 75 MPH, but now it bogs down when you accelerate with more than 1/4 throttle. The bike idles fine and revs perfectly with no load. I replaced the boots today, but still the problem remains. I am at a loss and i don know what to look at next, any help would be appreciated. Also if I give less than 1/4 throttle the bike accelerates fine, i removed the air filter and still the bike bogs down. There is also no aftermarket or performance parts on the bike it is all stock. Recently replaced petcock.

·
Super Moderator
12,831 Posts
There is also no aftermarket or performance parts on the bike it is all stock. .
It's all stock......EXCEPT for those flaps that you cut out.......which were probably important to make it run right.
During your most recent test rides, do you have the air filter IN or not ??

I suspect that your original "analysis" was totally wrong and all you really needed was some good carb cleaner in the gas.......or a clean air filter maybe. With a bike that old, it is also possible that the baffles in the muffler collapsed and are blocking the exhaust.

It is NEVER a good idea to go modifying things......like cutting parts out.......when it ran good like that before.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The flaps that I cut out needed to be done, to see if that was my speed problem, And I replaced them today. And while I was out riding around today the problem magically disappeared. I did put some carb cleaner in the tank, but this magical cure happened to quickly to be the carb cleaner. And it didn't run good with the boots the way they were, it ran; Thats about it. My air filter was in while I was riding except for one trip around the block, to rule out the filter blocking air flow. The filter was still pretty clean, but i re-cleaned it anyways. I will see tomorrow if it does the same thing.....Easy rider....although I do like the idea of checking the muffler.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
And it wasn't me who cut the the flaps from the boots to the air box, it was a local mechanic. They were so bad that it was practically suffocating the motor, and not to risk motor damage and to rule out other symptoms my bike was having, they were removed.

·
Super Moderator
12,831 Posts
but this magical cure happened to quickly to be the carb cleaner.
You continue to make assumptions that might not be right.
Sometimes carb cleaner loosens a piece of debris and the change IS sudden and dramatic.
What brand of cleaner did you use ??

1 - 7 of 7 Posts