Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I have a 1987 Suzuki GS450L that I can not get started. I have searched online quite a bit looking for answers but haven't found anything that helped yet. It seems to me the issue is that there is not enough suction in the carburetor to pull the fuel through. But first, let me give you a little background information so you know what I have already done.

I bought the bike probably 6 years ago and it ran alright when I got it. I didn't really drive it much and over time the carb just clogged up, to the point where the bike would only run with the choke open. Once that happend, I just left the bike in the garage for a year or two. Last spring I decided I would take the carb apart and clean it. So I took it all apart and cleaned it, bought all new gaskets, jets, and o-rings. Got it all put back together and on the bike. The bike started but gas started coming out of the air box after running for a minute. Not exactly sure why that happened. Did a lot of reasearch on that last year and eventually gave up. Well now it's spring again and I decided I would give it another shot. I took the carb apart again to make sure everything was put back right and working, I also cleaned all the parts again in carb cleaner since it sat all winter. I sprayed carb clearner through all of the passage ways to verify they were all clean and open. Floats look good and work properly. I checked the diaphragms and they look great. I put the carb all back together and on the bike and now when I try to start the bike it will turn over but will not ignite.

I have checked the spark and there is plenty of spark so the problem is not electrical. I checked the cylinders for compression and both sides were within specifications. I currently do not have the gas tank on the bike. I have an extended hose on the carb to run gas through. Since the vacuum tube is not connected to the gas tank, I have plugged the end of it so that is not an air leak point. Gas will flow into the bowls and the floats will stop the gas flow when necessarry. So when I try and start the bike I have the choke on and the bike turns and it sounds like there is suction through the airbox but no fuel seems to be getting pulled into the combustion chamber. I sprayed some carb cleaner in and there was combustion for a few seconds but then stopped. I have played around with the pilot scews and idle adjuster but that hasn't seemed to do anything. I am thinking there is an air leak somewhere but I do not know where it could be happening. I was going to hook my carb tuning tool up to the intakes to see what that would tell me but couldnt get the screws out. I didn't want to try and force them for fear of stripping the screws or having one break off. I wasn't sure if that tool would be of help anyways without the bike being able to run.

So I am going insane trying to figure out why the bike won't start. If you have any input on what the issue might be I would appreciate the help. If you have any questions please ask. Oh and this is my first bike that I have worked on so it has been a huge learning process but I want the knowledge and experience so that is why I decided to dive in myself.
Thanks.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Hey thanks everyone who took the time to read my post but just so you know I got the bike running! I drained the carbs then refilled them with some gas and opened the pilot screws up quite a bit. I did this so I could see if gas was getting pulled through when trying to start it. I could see the gas going down in the tube feeding the carbs so I knew it was getting pulled through. Obviously the bike wouldnt start though because with the pilots screws opened so much the gas didn't really vaporize and just flooded the engine, but at least I knew there was suction. Anyways, I cranked the pilot screws back down to a normal setting and let the bike sit over night. Went out to day and it started right up! I didn't let it run for long but it sounded great. Hopefully there won't be any more issues and I've learned from this its probably easier to just drain gas and put in new gas if you dont drive it around much. Will probably save the hassle of cleaning the carbs. I feel like I am a pro at it now though. As long as the bike runs well my next plan is to turn it into a bobber. So I will probably be back for ideas when I get to that point.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.