Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I feel that my headlight may be lacking. When riding at 75 you can tell I'm over-riding my headlights. I was wondering if I could install a brighter headlight than the (12V,60/55W) that it says to. I wanted some Halogens with a purple tint if possible. They are legal lights where I live (North Dakota). Is it going to affect the electricals or will it work? Has anyone done something similar.

·
Super Moderator
12,406 Posts
I wanted some Halogens with a purple tint if possible.
It may take a little while but hopefully someone will come by who knows the capacity of the alternator on that model........or will know where to look it up.

Until then, I suggest you try a brighter replacement bulb in your existing light. SilverStar and PIAA make good ones. Some report short life on the SilverStar's but PIAA is a lot more expensive. If you do that, do NOT touch the new bulb (or the old one, if you're gonna keep it for a spare) with your bare fingers. The oil in your skin can cause early failure.

Many small to medium size bikes don't have enough alternator capacity to run two additional 55W bulbs, which is what most "light bars" will have in them. That's about an extra 9 amps of load.

P.S. In my opinion, riding 75 MPH at night probably isn't a good thing to do anyway.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts