Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My Katana 750 had two of its plugs fouled up. I put in new plugs (NGK-JR9C) and it started up nicely and the engine was running great, except for white smoke coming out of the exhaust. I rode it anyway, and it ran great for about half an hour, upon which the plugs got fouled again.

Could someone suggest what the problem might be?

Thanks.

J.

· Registered
3,027 Posts
Bad coil possibly. one coil for two cyclinders, two coils. See if the plug wires for the fouled cylinders go to the same coil to start with.

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The plugs that are getting fouled are both on the same side of the cylinder... not sure about the coil thing... haven't gotten that deep into the bike yet.

would a bad coil explain the white smoke too? and are these coils responsible for spark generation?

Thanks.

J.

· Registered
211 Posts
the fouled plugs are both on the left side. if it's 1,3,2,4 to a coil (http://www.suzuki-bikes.com/forum/showthread.php?t=6590), i guess that rules out the coils.

Sorry i'm confused here??

From memory of taking mine apart last year.......
the two coils each control 2 cylinders, one coil for 1 and 3 and the other for 2 and 4 (not cylinders but timing sequence).
The now the leads from the coils across the plugs read 1,3,2,4 from left to right for the timing sequence, so i could be one of the coils that is faulty as the coils control felt and right sides of the engine.

Sorry bad at explaining things but i think that is right.

Have you checked the carbs for fouling as well, there are 4 carbs running to the cylinders, are the carbs not synched correctly so one side is running too lean?

So the coils are responsilble for spark generation and could explian the white smoke.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.