Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had gotten this bike in a trade and don't know much about it. It is a 94 RF900R. I was told it was bored to a 1020, rear is was stretched and just learned that it doesn't have the stock clutch basket on it.

I am no guru with motorcycles at all and it sat for a bit. When I started messing around with it again, the clutch wouldn't engage and when changing the gear to 1st, it would stall. I decided to replace the clutch plates but the stock plates they gave me, weren't the right ones. They told me to try to find a maker on the basket, to identify the ones I need but I am not seeing anything.

Maybe someone could identify it via these pics that know more about them. Also, I am wondering how one can tell when the clutch plates need replaced? How about a basket, do you have to ever worry about replacing those? Just want to make sure I am going about this correctly.

If I have to replace the clutch basket because I can't figure out what plates to get, where is the best place to get a kit?
20160603_222346.jpg 20160603_222402.jpg 20160603_222427.jpg 20160603_222432.jpg

·
Registered
6,932 Posts
If there are no identifying numbers or similar it will be difficult to id that. It must be one that is specific for that bike, or several models of it though, otherwise it would not fit. The driven plates...ones with the material bonded to them would, in general, need to be around 3mm thick and have even wear and be flat. The plain driving plates need to be flat and not be discoloured...this indicates a slipping clutch.

All of the teeth on the inside need to be in good condition and not rounded off or bent. The tangs of the drive plates also need to be in similar condition. The outer basket slots need to be clear of any indentations and not worn. The inner hub also has to be clear of any wear or rounding off of the slots the teeth of the driven plates fit into.

All bearings must be free from any roughness and rotate freely. The push rod must be straight and can be tested by rolling it on a piece of glass.

Perhaps there is a Barnett clutch that fits and this is one of those...although they tend to have the name stamped on them. You should be able to source plates if needed from any Suzuki shop and if it is an after market one a decent mechanic at that shop should be able to help with the id.

As regarding the failure of the clutch to engage I would suggest it is failing to disengage as the motor stalls. This will probably be due to either the operating mechanism not being reinstalled correctly or the plates not in the correct order....some....read most...clutches have a thicker plate that must go in first or last. The other thing may be the cable is not correctly tensioned...you should have about 3mm play before there is any resistance at the clutch lever. If its hydraulic the system may need bleeding or it may have a leak...internally at the MC or slave cylinder.

good luck

1 - 2 of 2 Posts