Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I have a 97 Suzuki Katana. Before I parked my bike it ran fine, over the winter i pulled it apart and got all the gas out of the tank and made sure there was no gas in the carbs. I put it back together today and started it up.. It ran fine for about 10 minutes and then the RPM's sky rocketed! I hit the kill switch and let it sit for a while.. As soon as I started the bike back up the RPM's jumped quick so I hit the kill switch again.. PLEASE HELP....

·
Registered
308 Posts
That's the weirdest thing I've ever heard. did you check the throttle?

·
Registered
926 Posts
Hmmm...so there is life out there beyond the M50 Hideaway...

Good luck!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Dude try spraying some WD-40 down the throttle cable soak the piss out of it. Then find the other end the cable connects to. Soak that too. turn the gas off so you can work the throttle without flooding that. If that doesnt work just hold on tighter. Goodluck dude

·
Super Moderator
12,761 Posts
over the winter i pulled it apart and got all the gas out of the tank and made sure there was no gas in the carbs.
Others are trying to help with the immediate problem so I will say this:

THAT was totally unnecessary and an empty tank might actually promote water collection from condensation and rust inside the tank.
Sometimes a carb left totally dry will end up with leaks due to dried out seals.
Best to put stabilizer in the gas and leave it alone.

The "pulling it apart" that you did might actually have caused the present problem.
If it ain't broke, don't "fix" it. !! :bluethum:

·
Registered
926 Posts

·
Registered
926 Posts
Hello, I have a 97 Suzuki Katana. Before I parked my bike it ran fine, over the winter i pulled it apart and got all the gas out of the tank and made sure there was no gas in the carbs. I put it back together today and started it up.. It ran fine for about 10 minutes and then the RPM's sky rocketed! I hit the kill switch and let it sit for a while.. As soon as I started the bike back up the RPM's jumped quick so I hit the kill switch again.. PLEASE HELP....
what was going on for the first ten minutes? Were you just idling, revving the throttle at all? I screwed up a carb by messing with it (the needle came out of the main jet so it was stuck on wide open throttle...) so now i'm much more careful when I pull anything apart...
any luck yet?

·
Registered
926 Posts
Ok cool - I have been up that way before...nice ride!

·
Registered
6 Posts
If you haven't taken it somewhere to get it fixed or fixed yourself by now, I have a suggestion.

I'd say the carb and the enrichener circuits are messed up. I've had similar things happen. I ended up having to re-adjust my idle adjustment screw. It seemed to idle correctly, but when touching the throttle, she would sky rocket til I killed the bike.

Sent from my phone

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hello Guy.
Your bike has many defects. It looks like not to do work any more. Please check your bike completely.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts