Motorcycle Forum banner

a little help please w/ my 01gixxer600

1K views 11 replies 6 participants last post by  87gsxrnut 
#1 ·
im desperate for any help. My 600 gixxer was running fine a couple of days ago, i go out to start it this morning and i get no power wat so ever. i jumped it and it started up but the gauges were going haywire~! i let it run for a bit but the gauges were still going nuts (there were shutting off and then turning on, blinking on and off). So i turn my bike off and try to start it again and its completely dead again. so i gave up there cause i was late to work.

i tried it again this afternoon. i jumped it, it started up and the gauges were going crazy again. i let it run for a couple of minutes and turn it off. i but the key in the start position and the gauges runs its start up procedure, and wen i go to crank it, it seems as if the battery is low on juice and wont turn over. it juss cranks once and dies.

could it be that this is a battery problem?? or something worse???

please help me. this is the first time this has happened. any help would be gratefull

#2 · (Edited)
Replace the battery and for heaven's sake - DON'T JUMP THE BIKE LIKE THAT ANYMORE!

Quit panicking and buy a MANUAL.

LEARN ABOUT THE BIKE. FEEL THE BIKE. BE THE BIKE.

- Nut

EDIT: Oh yeah first check the battery connections to see if they are corroded, and that they are making good contact from the solenoid and to the ground. :mrgreen: Use a TRICKLE CHARGER to charge up the battery. Takes about 4-hours. Get an ohm-meter and check the voltage once the battery is charged, and the bike is running. Make sure the alternator is providing a solid charge to the battery.

#3 ·
ok, ill do that...the batter connections arent corroded..they look pretty good still. how many ohms should the bike be producing from the bike?? and also, how to i check if the alternator is providing a solid charge to the battery??

im going to pick up a new battery tomorrow, ill let u no how it goes. thanks nut

~Ja

#5 ·
This is a longshot but have you by chance just put the bike back on the road form winter? I don't see where you're from. My 04 GSXR 600 was having a LOT of trouble starting and it sputtered and the elctronics were whacky. It turns out that despite the fact I used fuel stabalizer my gas still went bad. When I would turn the motor the lights and display would fade and turn on and off. (Over a time period this killed my battery and I had to charge it). Maybe your tank is low and bad gas is in there? I ended up taking off my tank and dumping it out and buying fresh gas :roll: Then it started right up DUH!

Let us know what kind of temperatures and whatever else the bike is subjected too.

#6 ·
jaydog, as a matter of fact....the gas thats in my bike has been sittin in there for close to a month....and my bike has been sittin outside under a shelter but open to the elements. i live in washington, and washington loves to rain. its been raining on and off now so the weather's been wacky. ill try to dump out my tank and get some fresh new gas in there as well....ill still try to switch batteries just to make sure. wen i got the bike running yesterday morning, it didnt sputter or n e thing, it was running strong. the temperature seemed to climb steadily also (it was at around 140degrees wen i turned it off). thanks for the advise, ill let u no how it goes sometime today. :)

#7 ·
I serously doubt that the gas will go "stale" within a month - but you may have water in your tank if it wasn't totally full when you parked it, or if your tank lid is not properly sealed. Check the rubber gasget to make sure that no water is seeping into the tank, and replace it if it's looking worn.

#9 ·
Doesn't sound like a gas problem. Sounds like a dead battery or a short.

Sometimes a dead battery can lead to surges in electrical output from the alternator (as the battery may act as a resistor keeping electrical flow to the other components consistent).

However, to have guages fluctuating like that sounds like you may have a short somewhere. Did you recently add or remove any electrical components, like adding extra lighting or anything? It could also be the result of a broken wire touching metal.

If it starts when boosted and runs strong (other than the guages going nuts), it's not likely a problem with the engine or gas, it's likely electrical.

#10 ·
well guys, i took my battery to a motorcycle shop and had it tested. turns out that the cells in the battery are completely dead. i got a new battery and it is charging at the shop right now. im going to go pick it up tomorrow and connect it back up to the bike and see how it goes. thanks for all the advice guys, ill keep you posted on the outcome
~Ja

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.