Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I ride a 2007 V-Star 1300 and I love my bike. The only complaint I have regarding the machine is the fact that the gas tank is listed as holding 4.9 gal (4 gal with a .9 reserve) yet everytime my idiot light comes on I can only put apporiximately 3 gal (usualy just a bit over) into the tank.

This has been consistent the entire time I've owned the bike. Even after running it quite a few miles after the light I still can't get anywhere near 4 gal into the tank.

After many times of running a full tank through and checking my milage vs how much I fill up it seems that the tank is more like 3.9 as opposed to the 4.9 listed. That missing gallon really cuts down on how far one can ride on a given tank of gas.

Anyone here ride a 1300 who can give me some insight on this apparently flawed stat regarding the bike?

Thanks in advance

·
Premium Member
20,860 Posts
I'm not sure I understand. What made you think you were almost out of fuel?

I suggest you get a 1/2 gallon can and strap it to the bike as a backup, then run that sucker dry. You should get 200 miles or more.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What makes me think the bike is low? The fact that the idiot light (low fuel light) illuminates. Per the owners manual it is supposed to do that with approximately .9 gallons of fuel remaining, which means that once it comes on I should be putting about 4 gal into the (rated) 4.9 gallon tank. I'm not, I'm putting just over 3 gallons which means, if the idiot light is correctly coming on at .9 gal remaining (approximately) then I'm missing a gallon somewhere.

So I'm not sure I understand what wasn't to understand. ;)

As for running it til it's dry... computer fuel injection system on the Star 1300, don't think that is a good idea.

·
Registered
397 Posts
It is either the tank not holding what it claims, or the fuel light (or float I am assuming and its guts) is not calibrated correctly?

·
Super Moderator
12,791 Posts
So I'm not sure I understand what wasn't to understand. ;)

As for running it til it's dry... computer fuel injection system on the Star 1300, don't think that is a good idea.
It is either the tank not holding what it claims, or the fuel light (or float I am assuming and its guts) is not calibrated correctly?

You'll have to cut Clint a little slack; he is kinda slow on the uptake sometimes. !!! :lol4:

There is absolutely no problem running an engine with FI "dry"......or at least until it stumbles a bit. Like any engine that you run absolutley dry, it might take a few tries to get it started again.....but no damage.

And a gold star for BIGS! Yes, that IS the question. So far, nobody has a good answer.

·
Registered
4,801 Posts
I have yet to see any FI bike get anywhere close to what the manual says the level should be when the low fuel light comes on, in the several FI bikes I have owned there has been anywhere from 1/2 to a full gallon more in the tank than the manual says there should be with the low light on, if you really want to know, do what Clint suggested & run it till your out of gas.

I would be VERRY VERRY surprised if you come up with a significantly different number than the one listed in the owners manual.

·
Cookie Monstress.
5,192 Posts
yeah...there is 4.9 in there.

My kawi does this... 5.0 gal tank and I used to run to the station when it comes on at 140 mi or so.... From experience now I know I can go 200 and I still have never run it dry.......as Clint suggests .....before I am really out. Even then I put in 4.2 or so max...so I probably have 25-30 miles left or more?

the thing is just not calibrated like the manual says.... I also think you should run it dry so you know

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
First, thanks all for the input.

It's been my suspicion for a while that the indicator was just coming on much earlier than the .9 gal remaining that it's supposed to. I had never wanted to attempt to run it dry to verify because I was always under the impression that running an engine with an electronic fuel injection to empty was bad for the system. Admittedly though I have never done any research into the matter myself and may just be the victim of a mechanical myth. I'll have to look into it.

Also, to Clint... my intention was not to come across as giving you a hard time. I'm just a sarcastic smartass by nature, no offense intended.

·
Registered
49 Posts
If you do this, please post the results, as I also ride a 1300 and have noticed the same thing. Haven't bothered to run mine out of gas to check it, as I still have a better range than the guys I normally ride with.

·
Premium Member
20,860 Posts
I just didn't get why you put so much stock in the reserve light. You know (or can easily ascertain) your mileage, and you know your tank size. Do the math. Forget about the idiot light.

Yes, it's bad to run a fuel pump for long periods without fuel, which provides cooling and lubrication. The few seconds it will take to sputter out won't hurt a thing.

BTW, after giving those other guys a hard time, I ran out Wednesday night. I had made my usual 3 trips to work and back, totalling 212 miles. But I had also run to Home Depot one evening, adding 8 or so. I then ran to my MIL's to borrow her pickup. On the way back I planned to fill up, but had forgotten my wallet. I sputtered to a stop 5 blocks from home and one block from a station. D'oh! 224.8 miles.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Clint,

Yes I know my average milage and can figure out how far I should be able to go on a 4.9 gallon tank, I've just never ran it that far after the light came on. I'll have to give it a go and see what happens.

BTW, after giving those other guys a hard time, I ran out Wednesday night. I had made my usual 3 trips to work and back, totalling 212 miles. But I had also run to Home Depot one evening, adding 8 or so. I then ran to my MIL's to borrow her pickup. On the way back I planned to fill up, but had forgotten my wallet. I sputtered to a stop 5 blocks from home and one block from a station. D'oh! 224.8 miles.
I've never been there on anything but a dirt bike (of course running out in the middle of the Smoky Mountains kind of sucks). At least you were close to fuel and home!

Thanks again for all the input, I'm going backpacking this weekend so I won't get a chance to run her dry until probably next weekend, but I'm definitely going to give it a go and see what happens.

·
Premium Member
20,860 Posts
Please fill out your profile so I can know where I'm jealous of you going backpacking. :)

I grew up in Bozeman, MT. They gots good packpackin'.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Just last week, I went 194.4 miles (17.3 miles on reserve) on my '08 1300T. The fill up took 3.590 gallons. What I'm finding to be rather unusual, with about 6,500 miles on the odometer, is my bike's average "city" vs. its average "highway" mileage: City is low-mid 40s miles per gallon; highway is mid-high 50s.

·
Premium Member
20,860 Posts
Why is that unusual?

I really don't know what my city economy would be. Who rides a tankful in town?

·
Registered
4,801 Posts
Why is that unusual?

I really don't know what my city economy would be. Who rides a tankful in town?
He didn't say "town" economy, he said "city" economy. :lol4:

"She said hello country bumpkin, how's the frost out on your pumpkin" :fight1:

Maybe you just live in too small of a city. I have been through many tanks where I never got on the slab for more than a mile or two at a time. but I agree I don't understand why he thought that was unusual mileage.

·
Premium Member
20,860 Posts
LOL. Do I have egg on my face?

·
Registered
285 Posts
Hello,

I ride a 2007 V-Star 1300 and I love my bike. The only complaint I have regarding the machine is the fact that the gas tank is listed as holding 4.9 gal (4 gal with a .9 reserve) yet everytime my idiot light comes on I can only put apporiximately 3 gal (usualy just a bit over) into the tank.

This has been consistent the entire time I've owned the bike. Even after running it quite a few miles after the light I still can't get anywhere near 4 gal into the tank.

After many times of running a full tank through and checking my milage vs how much I fill up it seems that the tank is more like 3.9 as opposed to the 4.9 listed. That missing gallon really cuts down on how far one can ride on a given tank of gas.

Anyone here ride a 1300 who can give me some insight on this apparently flawed stat regarding the bike?

Thanks in advance
It isn't a flawed stat. The idiot light comes on to warn you that you only have about 1 gallon of fuel left. Since you don't have a reserve (at least my 950 doesn't) this is to serve as your reserve by warning you in time.

·
Premium Member
20,860 Posts
Except it's coming on with two gallons left, which takes away some utility. You must be using that new math. :)

·
Registered
4,801 Posts
If his is like mine, the light comes on early, than starts flashing when I get to the real low/reserve point.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts