Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Adding a kick started

Hello ppl
I have a 1983 GS 450 and am wondering if it is possible to add a kick starter to it.
ANy suggestions?
Thanks a bunch in advance.

·
Registered
878 Posts
You can do anything you set your mind to. With a little inovation and a lot of hours you can do it but my question is....... WHY?

·
Premium Member
20,860 Posts
Moving to mechanics.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
c'mon guys!

I was not looking for a philosophical answer guys, the issue is how and with what? Some bikes have the set up ready [for example xs series of yamaha] and all you need is adding the kicker itself. Some other bikes need the cover changed and some minor changes. Issue is how can I add it to a 450? Has anyone any experince in this? As for why? The kickstarter is alot more fun than the button!
TX a bunch
1983GS450

·
Registered
78 Posts
If theres no direct linkage already installed, you're going to have to custom machine the inner workings, some way of connecting the ring gear to the kick starter, a mounting flange, and somewhere to put the whole contraption on the bike.
Not to mention, without severely modifying the head, theres no way to put a compression release valve on it. Meaning when you try to kick it over (being a 450) the kick starter will likely break your foot off your leg.
Kick started bikes are built like that, its not a minor feature to add fun. You've got electric start, i wish i had it.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Adding a kick started

Hello ppl
I have a 1983 GS 450 and am wondering if it is possible to add a kick starter to it.
ANy suggestions?
Thanks a bunch in advance.
Hey I see this was a longgg time ago. Did you ever figure out how to do the kickstart and if so where did you go for it all

·
Super Moderator
13,512 Posts
Hey I see this was a longgg time ago. Did you ever figure out how to do the kickstart and if so where did you go for it all
Again......why ??
This was a bad idea in 2005 and it still is a bad idea now.
I don't think any of the original participants are here anymore.

If you really HAVE to have a kick starter, buy a bike that was designed with one.
;)

·
Registered
2 Posts
Again......why ??
This was a bad idea in 2005 and it still is a bad idea now.
I don't think any of the original participants are here anymore.

If you really HAVE to have a kick starter, buy a bike that was designed with one.
;)
I’m building a custom chopper and I got the gs450 for free so I might as well use it. I have always loved kickstarts and figured hey someone may have done it

·
Registered
7,079 Posts
Find the same/similar model from a few years earlier with a kickstart. That will give you some idea of what is involved. All the kick starters I have seen work through the gear box input side via a ratchet system. So it follows you would have to fit that gear cluster and inner/outer cases along with the ratchet system assuming the cases fit...I would suggest they wont.

The easiest way would be an external kickstart mechanism and maybe boring a hole through the outer cover then adding length to the gearbox input shaft so a drive could be added.

It seems an inordinate amount of work for very little gain. A Bloke in the UK called Allan Millyard heavily modifies engines turning twins into four cylinders etc. he may have done adding a kickstart try YouTube.

good luck

1 - 11 of 11 Posts