Motorcycle Forum banner

21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
btw, I dont ride, just to ride, for the heck of it. its to work and back. im 50 years old. handicapped and dont have extra income so I need to look over my ride.

total cost of parts $35 but equals to a lot of peace of mind for me.

adding a fan for blowing on the engine=bad idea. how so? thats just connecting a fan to the battery
adding an inline radiator valve to add a better gauge= bad idea. how so? many people add inline adapters and the US is THE main country that uses the most amount of gauges.
running the rad fan manually=bad idea? who knows. many people do that in the US. but for me piece of mind.

so what kind of hjelp do you give? oem help?

err, jim, err, fill up tha tank of oil to 1347cc..is what dat oem manual be sayin'

good job then.

·
Super Moderator
12,155 Posts
You are spending $35 that you don't really HAVE to do something that is TOTALLY unnecessary.

That is why it is a bad idea.
Also every time an "amateur" goes about making modifications, there always is a chance that something will go wrong.

But don't confuse me with facts; my mind is already made up.

Want to do something for your bike to help it run better and cooler and potentially last longer ??
Start using full synthetic motorcycle oil on the next oil change.
That should cost you about an extra $10 at each change.

Or just ride it and work on "curing" your paranoia.
There are millions and millions of bikes on the road worldwide and overheating is very near to the BOTTOM of reported problems.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
You are spending $35 that you don't really HAVE to do something that is TOTALLY unnecessary.

better in every which way you look at it that $35 to be proactive and monitor the bike for piece of mind is much better then paying for motor replair

Also every time an "amateur" goes about making modifications, there always is a chance that something will go wrong.
dont assume. I always research for at least a month before doing any modding or anything out of oem and weigh the benefit vs negatives.
there is nothing so drastic in adding a temp gauge, adding a fan to blow on the engine or to tap into a radiator fan (tons of videos on how to)

But don't confuse me with facts; my mind is already made up.
your attitude is unpleasant as well to a new member. youre a mod. supposed to be open minded, help, give a solution, at least offer alternatives then just say no. you moderate. but you also help , not flat out say no.

adding a fan to connect to the battery to blow on the engine, bad idea? how so. people add fog lights and relays and alarms and tons of heated gear and adding a fan is bad idea?
adding a better temp gauge-bad idea. yes, spoke the person whos in the country that add the most amount of gauges to their vehicles is the world.
the only thing one can argue is overriding the radiator fan.

Want to do something for your bike to help it run better and cooler and potentially last longer ??
Start using full synthetic motorcycle oil on the next oil change.
That should cost you about an extra $10 at each change.
assuming again. I use syntehtic jaso ma2 api sn oil and replace it every 2500miles. my bike has a lot of miles and my 2 previous bikes have had the head gasket blown from overheating. and its not immediete where youre stuck by the side of the road, but you see the tmep rise because its been leaking for a week or from the head gasket. you lean too much on oem
oem isnt always right
-bad clutch that has 3 pads vs 5 they updated later. tons of glazing and shuddering/bucking on takeoff
-switches are horrible and need cleaning every so often
-windshield rattles and has terrible turbulence that many have replaced.
-headlights are weak

Or just ride it and work on "curing" your paranoia.
I dont ride for the heck of it. ive been riding for 24 years now.
There are millions and millions of bikes on the road worldwide and overheating is very near to the BOTTOM of reported problems.
well duh, otherwise companies would have bad reputations and would go bust. but there are quite a few that have had issues.

you should see the modding they do in asia. adding what Im doing is like basic stuff.

·
Super Moderator
12,155 Posts
I can only give you my honest opinion......based on more than 50 years of riding and wrenching.
Take it or leave it but don't beat me up for trying to help the best way I know how.

Sometimes that means trying to convince people to NOT do what they think is right......because it really isn't.

Good luck.

·
Still crazy after all these years
14,179 Posts
If you have had 2 previous scooters fail due to blow head gaskets, modding the fan isn't going to fix this.

Blown head gaskets are generally due to lack of maintenance (running with too little or the wrong type of motor oil, or the wrong type of coolant in the radiator for liquid-cooled motors). A failed fan won't lead to a blown gasket unless you are idling the bike for a long time. Otherwise, the air flow around a moving engine has a much larger volume than that produced by the fan...

That's why we're suggesting that you re-think your approach - you are spending time and effort to fix something that isn't broken. The risk that you break something else while doing this mod is higher than the benefit it will have when it is done.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
the climate here (overseas) is way too hot. even certain products like fridges go through a special check that they can hold up to the extreme heats here.
this is just oem talk im getting. I love oem and buy oem parts for maintenance but the problem is the heat. the bike is always well kept. maintenance done before the recommended intervals. I never red line the bikes, Invested in many tools for maintenance. its just the heat.

youre giving blank oem statements and assuming. we have small roads and a lot of short distances and a lot of time sitting in traffic jams with many other cars all around expelling their heat as well. its not only the air temp, but the sun beating down cooking the bike which boosts the heat to extreme temps

another thing, youre all assuming way too much. as if you know the itnl standard of heat and engines coping with it all around the world. and how my situation is here. your driving circumstances are much different then mine,

what kind of forum is this. a copy paste oem talk forum? you guys dont help people? as a photographer, if you came to one I frequent, I will always give a few options and try to help with what the OP asks.

how about you help with what im asking or give a counter offer besides oem talk, or (im really sorry to say this) but dont comment, cause this back and forth oem talk, is tiring and not helping. I know the oem talk. I have a service manual

just like the saying" if you have nothing good to say, dont say anything at all"

its not helping me whatsoever. summer is coming and im stressed with the bike overheating as is.

·
Registered
6,752 Posts
I can understand your situation however many on here have expressed their opinions on what you are doing...between me and the others you are getting over a hundred years of experience.

I ride in a hot climate...often it reaches 40c +...sitting in traffic never caused any of my bikes to overheat...the fan kicks in....on my current bike, at 110 degrees and draws sufficient air through the rad to drop it to about 90 or so. Once its moving the air flow is sufficient to cool the rad but even so the fan has already shut off.

What you are doing will serve no purpose so most will not feel the need to assist you.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
so most will not feel the need to assist you.

thats fine. at the very least dont argue with someone who want to do these mods. 2 pages of posts down the drain of arguing.

I can understand your situation

really? you know your situation, but you dont know mine. if youve ever been to bangkok in February and have taken a tok tok and have seen the traffic jams on narrow roads, thats what its like. people are commenting on what they know for their region. not the world. a bit close minded to think whats in your country is the same everywhere else. like I said, fridges need to get a special certification to enter this country because of the heat and humidty.

·
Registered
6,752 Posts
Oh ffs I lived in Brisbane for four years riding air cooled bikes...our Humidity was 70% with 35 degrees c...not one of them ever overheated. Same with the liquid cooled ones I rode too. You wont get any help with this attitude do your mod to the instructions given it should work

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
Oh ffs I lived in Brisbane for four years riding air cooled bikes...our Humidity was 70% with 35 degrees c...not one of them ever overheated. Same with the liquid cooled ones I rode too. You wont get any help with this attitude do your mod to the instructions given it should work

yes, so youre the worlds representative for overheating statistics. talk for yourself. want to see a bike I have sitting 10 meters from my house entrance with white oil from a blown head gasket? dont talk nonsense, as youre a small reference is not a measurement for others around the world.

oh ffs yourself

"
Lifetime Achievement Award" for what, posting nonsense?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Sigh, I usually try to avoid jumping in on these but let's correct a few things here...

High humidity is very uncomfortable for us humans, we rely on evaporation for cooling. Therefore, we perceive humid as bad. O.K.

Bikes do not rely on evaporation, they rely on direct heat transfer to the surrounding air. O.K.

The more humid air is, the more dense it is, and the more dense it is the more heat it can hold. O.K.

Therefore, this horrible, horrible humid air you talk about that is blowing your head gaskets is actually better for your bike.. WTF? Yep, better!

Googled:

"Abstract  The convective heat transfer from a cylinder to a humid air stream flowing normal to the cylinder was investigated experimentally at atmospheric pressure over a range of variables which is relevant to the use of hot‐wire anemometry: air temperatures between 30 °C and 70 °C and velocities between 12 and 37 m/s. For molar fractions of water vapour up to 0.27, the heat transfer increased with increasing humidity. The ratio of heat transfer rates in humid air and dry air is a unique function of the molar fraction of water vapour, independent of the air temperature and flow velocity."

I have lived in the dry deserts of Nevada where people do not use normal air conditioners because the heat will not transfer to the dry air, they use evaporative coolers. Yet, I rode a strictly air cooled motorcycle and never had a problem with a head gasket, nor did anyone I know have an issue with one. We are talking Death Valley.

Now I live in the 100+F humid heat of South Texas and have a liquid cooled motorcycle. Due to the high humidity my fan literally almost never cuts on, only when idling in a garage with near zero airflow. Again, have never had an issue with a head gasket, don't know anybody that has had one either under normal riding. Traffic here sucks too.

The only blown head gaskets I have seen have been on either really old bikes or bikes that have been ridden or maintained badly. Not saying that is your case but it is not your humid air that is doing it. What you are saying contradicts decades of known engineering principles and the laws of thermodynamics.

You came to this forum asking for advise. You have been told almost universally that what you are doing is senseless, that it won't make any difference and will likely actually increase the probability of failure, if nothing else through the unnecessary addition of complexity. You are arguing that what you know is right and everyone else just doesn't understand. Well, if you saw the movie, even Forrest Gump knew to listen to mama.

Simply put, If your fan isn't coming on with the automatic switch then your bike isn't overheating. There is nothing another switch will add of value. Period. Universally accepted by everyone but you. Nobody responsible is going to help you do something they think is a bad idea. Now your just getting nasty with people because they won't give you the answer you want to hear. Arguing with everyone won't make your idea any better, Sorry.

Now, you came for advise so this is your advise... stop arguing about your fan. Ask a different question. Like: What CAN you do that WILL help your bike. Then you might get some ideas... like, how about adding an oil cooler? Add a heat sink to your heads? Does your bike have some plastic that can be modified to increase airflow etc... etc... Someone already suggested moving to synthetics.

You might also try and find a forum specific to your bike model, they might have some suggestions.. Are there better head gaskets you can upgrade to?

·
Super Moderator
12,155 Posts
Been gone for a few days but I have one thought to add:
The OP seems to think that the head gaskets have failed because the bike FIRST overheated.
And I think it is likely that it happened the OTHER way around.

That is, the head gasket failed first......for whatever reason.......and then the engine overheated AFTER that.

If that is what happened, then all of these modifications are a total waste of time and money.

21 - 34 of 34 Posts