Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was checking out the owners manual for the 2000 marauder that i bought and it shows how to adjust the suspension 1-5, the only thing is that when i adjusted it it doesnt show the numbers, it just turns left or right, im guessing turning it to the right will make it go higher??? or am i wrong, also whats it really for? do i need to change it when the wife is on the back?,, any help would be great. thanks guys :twisted:

·
Dogs Best Friend(admin)
9,643 Posts
I can't remember if it is left or right, but it is like a staircase. Ther higher you go the stiffer it is. I keep mine on 5, because I do a fair amount of 2-up. They are a bugger to adjust too, I think it would be easier if you had someone lifting on the rearend when you go stiffer.

_ Softest
.I_ 2
...I_ 3
.....I_ 4
.......I_ 5 stiffest

HTH

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks man, that helps alot,,, so the longer they look, the higher the # im guessing

·
May 2007 Member of the month
7,992 Posts
Wouldn't the longer the spring,, the more suspension travel it has? The longer spring with more suspension travel I think would make it a softer ride I thought. Am I wrong on that or am I misunderstanding the description here????? I'd like to know more about that.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
stp1971 said:
Wouldn't the longer the spring,, the more suspension travel it has? The longer spring with more suspension travel I think would make it a softer ride I thought. Am I wrong on that or am I misunderstanding the description here????? I'd like to know more about that.

well now im confused lol,,, im thinking that the higher you put it the harder the ride would be, what i mean by making it longer is to put it all the way to setting 5, because when you put it back down it makes the cannister on the look shorter,,, see what im saying???? i circled it in the pic just to make sure were talking about the same thing

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
i think he means the spring under the seat,, im talking about the ones on the side that you adjust,, like in the pic in my last post

·
7,992 Posts
Well,, I am totally confused,, I guess I shouldn't worry with it too much since the 1500 doesn't seem to have any adjustments,, nothing in the manual or the service manual that I have found flipping through both. I guess the spring is what it is on my bike,,, I just wanted to know about that for my knowledge to build on my growing motorcycle knowledge.

On cars,, which I do know,, if the spring is compressed it lowers the vehicle,, it also makes the ride stiffer so that it handles tighter. Draw back to that is a rough ride since there isn't as much spring travel. When the spring is fully compressed the vehicle has more suspension travel in order to absorb road shock and altering terrains,, thus it rides smoother.

But smoother translates into softer cornering ability majority of the time,, where the stiffer ride handles cornering better,,, is that how it works on a bike as well????

·
Dogs Best Friend(admin)
9,643 Posts
That's what I'm talking about. There is a little hole in each shock that you stick a HARD screwdriver in and twist to adjust the tesion in the suspension. If you want to make it stiffer the turn will have to lift the "staircase" thingy to the next notch. You will know if you do it right because you really have to come on to her (I broke a screwdriver doing it.) If it goes easy and feels like it droped down a bit you loosened up the tension. Capice? Will get er straightened up. Let me know if it's any clearer or if I'm still muddy. Did you try it yet?

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
cant try it yet they just brought my bike from the tow yard it was at after the accident to the body shop yesterday,,but i was trying to do this adjustment when i went to laconia a few weeks ago, since i had the wife on the back i just wasnt sure where to adjust it to, i wanted her to be comfortable and not bounce around but not to hard either,, right now its on #5,, i do hear what your saying though,,, the more compressed the suspension the harder the ride since theres no play

·
7,992 Posts
Hey that's cool,,, now I understand,, just wanted to know so I could say I learned something new today. The day I stop learning is the day I die,,, just like it says below. THANKS Y'all!!!

·
Dogs Best Friend(admin)
9,643 Posts
From my owners Manual : (You made me run out to the parking lot you bugger)

The rear shock absorber spring preload is adjustable....bla bla bla... place the MC on the side stand . To soften the pre-load, turn the spring loaded adjuster ring , hidden in the lower cover counter-clockwise with a screwdriver or rod putting iin the hole on the ring. To stiffen, turn clockwise. Turn the adjuster ring counter-clockwise fully to position 1, then the detent from position 1 and 5 to get the desired position. Position 1 provides the softest spring tension and position 5 provides the stiffest. The MC is delivered from the factory with its adjuster set on position 3.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks trapper, hope its not pouring like it is here, ya thats pretty similar of what it said in mine, but it explained it totally different and confused me,,, but i got it now,, so when someone is on the back what would you put it on? im guessing setting 3 if its just you, but i guess that everyone has there own setting,, ill have to take it for a cruise and adjust it to my liking,,,

1 - 13 of 13 Posts