Motorcycle Forum banner

AGV Skyline Helmet (2013) - Long Term Ownership Review

2K views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  Easy Rider 
#1 ·
Hello everyone, This is Sibi from India and I ride a Yamaha R15 V2 (2013). I have so far travelled 43k kms on my bike on all terrains and weather conditions and I've been using the AGV Skyline ever since and it has proved itself on each and every single occasion. Here's my take on it about its usage and experiences in the past 3+ years.

The Basics - Description as on AGV's Website -

AGV Skyline - White / Gun / Blue

• Carbonglass construction
  • Integrated sunshield
  • 2 shell sizes
  • IVS ventilation System
  • Dri-Lex hygienic liners
  • Fully removable and washable interiors
  • Anti-scratch and anti-fog visor
  • XQRS (Extra Quick Release System)
  • Micro metric adjustment buckle
  • AGV Bluetooth ready

The AGV Skyline helmet is the direct replacement for the massively popular AGV S4 SV. The shell is Constructed from Fibreglass and Carbon, providing an impact resistant and lightweight shell. This Skyline range of helmets from AGV must be one of the most pleasing to the eye, with its aggressive stance courtesy of the deep chin-bar and top vents making it instantly stand out from the crowd. A major difference the AGV Skyline has over some of the other sports orientated competitors is the integrated drop down sun visor - meaning you'll never be caught out with the wrong visor again.

Features - As Specified -
2 SHELL SIZES & 3D LINERS - Different shell sizes and 3D liners are used to provide a perfect fit with compact dimensions, also helps reduce neck muscle fatigue.[HR][/HR]
CGF SHELL CONSTRUCTION - Carbonglass constructed in various layers make up the CGF (Carbon and Fiberglass) outer shell.[HR][/HR]
INTERIORS LINERS - Fully removable and washable Lycra micro-porous breathable lining and Dri-Lex fabric with sanitizing treatment.[HR][/HR]
VENTILATION - IVS (Integrated Ventilation System) Inlet vents on the upper head area, brow and chin and extraction rear vents for efficient air extraction.[HR][/HR]
INNER SUN VISOR - Integrated internal smoked sun visor with single handed operation achieved by using the lever mounted on the helmet.[HR][/HR]
RETENTION SYSTEM - The quick release chin strap uses a ratchet belt style buckle to allow quick and easy fastening and removal.[HR][/HR]
SPECIALLY TREATED VISOR - Highly scratch resistant polycarbonate visor that is also treated for total protection from the suns UV rays.[HR][/HR]
XQRS & ANTI-FOG - XQRS (Extra Quick Release System) with metal base plates. Visor can be removed in seconds without the need for tools. Visor is also anti-fog treatment.[HR][/HR]
AGVOICE READY - Ready for the AGVoice wireless Bluetooth communication system to be fitted in the custom made recesses within the helmet.[HR][/HR]
PVM RATCHET SYSTEM - PVM (Personalized visor mechanism) means that you can customize the colours of the visor ratchets by switching between the blue, red and green ones provided.

Miscellaneous -

Chin StrapQuick Release
Colour SchemeBlue
FinishGloss
FormFull Face
Removable InteriorFully Removable
Sharp Rating4 Star
Shell ConstructionMulti-Composite
Shell Sizes2
VisorsFog Free, Integral Sun Visor
Warranty2 Year

Pictures as per AGV -

__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ _______________________________

I bought this helmet through Amazon.com through their International Store and it cost me a total of Rs 24,430 including import fees and other charges (Attached Below). The helmet took around two weeks to reach Chennai customs and it stood there for another week and in the meanwhile, I received a mail to submit my License, Passport and any other I.D proof if available for the clearance process and hence I did submit. The helmet was then sent out from the customs department via SpeedPost!
The package was going through several speedpost offices and I somehow managed to to find the package at one of the head-offices using the tracking I.D and I saw it being kept under a huge stack of other boxes
but hopefully it was packed neat and tight with thermocol and air cushions and the original box was untouched.

I'm sorry that I didn't click any pics of the helmet while unboxing since I was pretty excited and was bound to go on a 5 day trip the very next day. The helmet has gone through various abuses right from flying stones from heavy vehicles on the highway, gust, heavy downpours, heavy fog and even snow and has held up well in these 3 years and 40k+ kms. I have saved the helmet from falling off from a few places and it hasn't taken any fall or impact so far but that doesn't mean that it would remain as good as new; You'll see in the pics below.

__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ _______________________________

The Pro's -

Extremely Stable at high speeds since it locks up firmly onto your chin.
Super Quiet even at speeds of 130+
Anti glare visor which has helped me travel even in pitch dark hills with oncoming high-beams without the need to open up the visor.
Doesn't fog up even at extreme weather conditions given that the ventilation's are open.
Great air circulation which doesn't make you even sweat a bit.
Cushioning is good and comfortable.
Has a very solid feel.

The Con's-

It is super heavy ( 3.7lbs ~ 1.72kg ) which makes it feel like you have a rock on your head and having a GoPro on top makes it much worse.

Isn't much of a good looker for the price you pay. ( Doesn't matter if you consider practicality)
The white colour is prone to getting scratched even with small impacts such as small stones.
The Internal sun visor is a bit disturbing to use since it covers only the top part and the bottom areas giving out so much light would give you a disturbing feel.
The sun visor tends to get loose ( a bit ) which tends to bring it a few mm's down from the top while going through a rough patch on the highway or anywhere with enough shock going through the helmet and I had to keep sending it up with the lever all the time.
You'll have to suffer if you accidentally wipe off any dust or insect using your glove by instinct while driving since it blurs out the visor and it becomes fine once it is wiped off with a damp and clean cloth. P.S Never touch the visor on the go, It'll clear off itself with the wind and rain.
New users will feel discomfort as it presses on to the cheeks very tightly but it'll get set with prolonged usage.

Overall, It has served the purpose to me in non stop touring, especially at night. Feels and looks solid, is super quiet and has some good breathing space too. The visor has survived these 3+ years with minimal damage and I have attached the pics which I have taken just an hour back. (I just arrived from Chennai to Bangalore around 4. A.M and I have left the visor untouched after the trip.) Let the pics do the talking

I'm unable to add further images due to restrictions and you may read the full review with pics here----> AGV Skyline Helmet (2013) - Long Term Ownership Review

__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ________________

The Damages so far -

1. Paint Chip off ( Very Minimal considering the amount of time and distance ) -

2. Lining wear ( Not noticeable when using ) -

3. Side padding wear due to placing the helmets on various surfaces -

4. Scratches at the rear logo and surroundings ( Solely due to Pillion's helmet banging onto it during braking and in stop go traffic
)

__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ________________

This is it so far and I will update things if required. I currently don't have the box but I do have the black helmet storage cover that AGV has given and i'll update it when I return home. Do checkout Revzilla's take on the same here ----> [/video]

Thank you!

See less See more
1 24
#2 ·
Welcome to the forum.

I know that you think it makes a better post by adding EVERYTHING you can come up with about your subject.........but it does NOT.

Most people won't read past the first couple of paragraphs.

So.....in the future, please summarize your points and do NOT cut and past stuff that can be located elsewhere; please post a link and not the actual content.

I appreciate you taking the time to share this information with us but a shorter version would be MUCH better.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.