Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

· Registered
764 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Lately I've sworn an oath to try and do all the maintenence things that do not require special and expensive tools myself. I started with the chain (drrr) and now oil changing. I went and bought a torque wrench and oil filter attatchment but now realise I have no engine grease. It's a hard sucker to find too. The owners manual says to put a light coating of engine grease around the seal of the filter. A guy said I could use some of the old motor oil to the same effect. Can anyone confirm or deny this?

Feel free to add alternatives to other things maintenence related since the original subject will die or be answered within the first couple posts.

· Registered
3,027 Posts
SDSUsnowboards said:
Lately I've sworn an oath to try and do all the maintenence things that do not require special and expensive tools myself. I started with the chain (drrr) and now oil changing. I went and bought a torque wrench and oil filter attatchment but now realise I have no engine grease. It's a hard sucker to find too. The owners manual says to put a light coating of engine grease around the seal of the filter. A guy said I could use some of the old motor oil to the same effect. Can anyone confirm or deny this?

Feel free to add alternatives to other things maintenence related since the original subject will die or be answered within the first couple posts.
K&N oil filters come greased with a protective cover to keep them clean until installed. They also have a wrench fitting on the end so no need for the old style filter wrench.

· Registered
84 Posts
RookWV said:
I'll just stick a finger in the new oil and slide it around the gasket. No biggie.
Yeah, I had to do the same thing when I changed the huge oil-filter-size fuel filters on the fuel pumps when I worked at a gas station in my youth. If you forgot to lube their o-rings up with a finger full of 10w30 they'd leak like a damned sprinkler. :-|

· Registered
3,027 Posts
Motorex also makes Bicycle lubes. You can get thier grease designed for Headset and Bottom Bracket bearings and use it also. Most bicycle shops carry it. Cycle Gear carries a good selection of Motorex products as well.

· Registered
764 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Alright. Great replies! Got to change my oil tomarrow! Hmmm, disposing the grease properly is gonna be a bit of work I guess. Disposing it improperly would be fun and easy! Ha Ha just kidding.

· Registered
3,027 Posts
SDSUsnowboards said:
Alright. Great replies! Got to change my oil tomarrow! Hmmm, disposing the grease properly is gonna be a bit of work I guess. Disposing it improperly would be fun and easy! Ha Ha just kidding.
Um, you mean oil? Most of the auto parts stores will take and recycle your old oil for free.

· Registered
764 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yes I meant oil. I guess I was too exited to proof read. Anyways, I didn't know some places will do it for free. I'll have to figure out a way to transport it, lacking any kind of container to collect the oil in at the moment. I figured I'd cut a gallon milk container in half and use the halves to collect the oil with but I'd sure hate myself if I spilled it in the car =\

· Registered
3,027 Posts
SDSUsnowboards said:
Yes I meant oil. I guess I was too exited to proof read. Anyways, I didn't know some places will do it for free. I'll have to figure out a way to transport it, lacking any kind of container to collect the oil in at the moment. I figured I'd cut a gallon milk container in half and use the halves to collect the oil with but I'd sure hate myself if I spilled it in the car =\
Go get a large Tupperware type pan with lid at the store. Like3X12X14. Cheap, will work as the drain pan. Will fit under a sportbike with full fairings. Standard auto pan won't fit under my Gixxer. Will hold all the oil. Snap the lid on when done and drive to the auto store. Kragen and Auto Zone will take the oil for free. Not sure of any others in your area? Take your own rag in with you just in case, to clean up any slop.

· Premium Member
14,233 Posts
Motorex ... of SWITZERLAND

Another alternative is to get the tupperware pan (as Gixxerdale recommended) and a funnel, then put the old oil into the bottles that the new oil came in (assuming that you have bottles with screw-on caps). Then return the bottles and the old oil to the shop for recycling.

· Registered
3,027 Posts
inspiron said:
Motorex ... of SWITZERLAND

Another alternative is to get the tupperware pan (as Gixxerdale recommended) and a funnel, then put the old oil into the bottles that the new oil came in (assuming that you have bottles with screw-on caps). Then return the bottles and the old oil to the shop for recycling.

Motorex is a great company! Couldn't keep my bicycles or motorcycles on the road with out them. Looks like they make products for more than just 2 wheel contraptions too!http://www.motorex.com/index.cfm/fuseaction/show/path/1-7.htm

· Registered
109 Posts
Hey lads, SDS is talking cheap maintenance, so don't spoil tupperware stuff, just use an empty oil cannister (available for free at every gas station), cut out the side, staying away from the edges. You can slip this self created drain pan under the drain plug and let the oil flow!
After you put back the drain plug, slide the pan (cannister) under the oil-filter and replace the filter.

Put in the new oil, use this empty cannister for proper disposal of the old oil.
The "drain pan" is pretty convenient when transferring the oil to the empty (new) cannister.
Your self created drain pan can be stored upright if you didn't cut the window too much too the sides. (transfer the old oil before storing ;-)

· Premium Member
14,233 Posts
Or an old paint pan (one of those pans you use for paint rollers). Just about everyone who's ever painted their house or apartments has one of those collecting dust somewhere in the garage/basement/attic ...

· Registered
764 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I was eyeing those oven baking pans while searching for tupperware. They do look like they would work nice. I wasn't esactly thinking outside of the box(pun intended) though at the time and decided on the more expensive tupperware on account that it had a lid... for safe transportation in my car. I wasn't thinking about funneling the old oil into the container the new oil came from.

So i get home, take fairings off and warm the bike up a little only to find that my torque wrench is useless. There was no way to access the oil filter as the head assembly of the exhaust was in the way completely. The only way to get in there to do any torquing would be to come up from underneath... impossible as I have nothing to lift the front of the bike up.

So I put everything back on and wondered what the return policies are on the $25 torque wrench, the $6 torque wrench adapter, and the $5 tupperware. I guess I'll have to go and pay (and wait) to get my oil changed. Damn you Honda!

I'd go and buy a k&n filter, where you can use a wregular wrench on them, but I'd be afraid of over torqueing it or under torquing it. How important is it really to get it just right?

· Registered
3,027 Posts
SDSUsnowboards said:
I guess I'll have to go and pay (and wait) to get my oil changed. Damn you Honda!
Honda? Now we know what problem is! Just kidding, honest. Now if it were electrical failure, I'd be serious. :roll:

· Registered
764 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Gixxerdale said:
Honda? Now we know what problem is! Just kidding, honest. Now if it were electrical failure, I'd be serious. :roll:
haha. I guess I set myself up for that though. Considering I don't own a suzuki (and with a RR or R6 next on my list) you guys sure pretty laid back about it.

· Registered
304 Posts
FWIW, I'd venture a guess that one of those "made for oil changes" containers costs the same as that tupperware...something like this Oil Pan

The one I use is much shorter than that and fits under the bike even when it's on the sidestand.

Don't take the torque wrench back, you have many many more uses for it.....if you turn any bolt at all on your bike you need to re-torque it.

Shoulda bought a Suzi :wink:

· Registered
684 Posts
Torque an oil filter? I've owned 7 bikes, at least 20 cars and half a dozen trucks over the years, and have never torqued the oil filter on any of them. Besides, a $25 torque wrench would likely be so inaccurate as to be useless anyway. Even the expensive clicker type are usually only +/- 20%.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.